Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I am thinking of doing my first hare scramble in a month. I have been riding for about a year, mostly track but some trails to. Just wondering what to expect and what are must haves. I am riding a 02 RM 250 and it will be in april in IL.

Also, it is and AMA event and I am not a member, can I just join at the event or due I have to join before the race?

Any help is appreciated.

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
Most places you can join at the event. $39.00 I believe, plus any race entrance fee.
My first was quite a humbling experience. I'd tell you about but it is still too embarrasing.
I'd do a lot of tight trail riding between now and then. Work on endurance. Most hare scrambles are about 2 hours long. That is a long time to go at speed.

WideOpen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 21, 2000
buy a chest protector and a hydration system, those are the two best things to have on a scramble.

I bought the Hydrojak which combines the two items above.

drinking a half bottle of pedialyte before the race helps too. Drink the rest of the bottle at home after the race so your body won't hurt so much the day after

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Make sure you don't go crazy on your first lap. Keep your speed up, but be cautious until you're familiar with the terrain. Try to be aware of anything that might give you trouble on the remaining laps. On the remaining laps you can always bring your speed up a little while knowing where the trouble spots are.

The hydration system is also a good recommendation. Make sure you've got your cardio in good shape so you don't run out of juice!

shookracer87

Oct 28, 2002
Hare Scrambles are great! Just remember that the laps are long, usually over ten miles (at least down here in Texas), so risking a crash just to gain a few seconds is not always worth it. I found this out at my first race back in September when I tried to make a pass in the tight woods and wound up stuck for over 20 minutes. Good Luck at your race!!

jacobone

Feb 3, 2003
and just out of regular riding experiances if it looks like theres a way around mud take it because others may know somthin about it that you don't. Like that its 3 feet deep

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
barkbusters!!!!! You will be the only one without them if you don't install them (or at least around here). Almost every person has bark busters a hydration system and a chest protector. Remember to fill up the tank... trust me on this one. Take a spare set of gloves, after one lap they will be soaked. Also, take extra leavers/perches. Make sure you have the tools to do any maintanence on your bike in the woods (should the need arise...or is that fall).

Try to get there early to scope out the star and the first .5 -1 mile of the course.

Ohh yeah and if you don't know whats just over that next hill SLOW DOWN! I once spent over a half hour ( and most my energy, not to mention the damage to the bike) getting out of a huge ditch/ ravine because I didn't turn

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Originally posted by Kawidude
Make sure you don't go crazy on your first lap.

second that - in the beginner/novice class, I'm convinced that you'll pass about 1/3 of your class if you can complete the first lap without ever stopping

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
you would be in the trail rider class most d-17 races are 1.5 hours
and 6 miles or less laps

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
I'll third the first lap thought- get warmed up.
If you can't ride at home 4 1.5-2 hours straight at a pretty brisk pace, you won't do any better at race time.
I always have a problem with getting into the race mentality and burning out early. Know the story of the rabbit and the hare?

wfodbiker

Mar 27, 2001
Which race are you planning to attend? If it is the CIDRA race in Cuba, I would pay attention to the weather before deciding when I wanted to tackle my first race. The Cuba race is usually easy terrain, nearly all the trails are made by a small dozer, however, if the weather is bad even the small hills can become monstrous obstacles. If the weather is decent, this will be a real good race for a first timer. I just don't want you to get discouraged your first time out due to bad trail conditions.... Good Luck.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Just try to finish the race! I did my first Hare Scrambles last year at Fox Valley Off Road. It was about two hours long. I did all of the training I could possibly do and I still wasnt ready for it. Just try and take it easy, I didn't try to pass anybody and didn't try to push it either and I still crashed a lot. Its better if you just take it easy for your first race and not push it or anything, get the hang of things and then later on push it.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
and what ever you do dont give up and quit the race no matter how
you do you will feel good about yourself if you dont quit and the 1.5-2 hour
thing is differant at every race

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I have a hidration system (camelback) and some plastic handguards already mounted (acerbis), which I don't really want to switch. My bike is pretty much stock, I want to be able to race MX with the same bike. So it seems like I will need to get a chest protector based on recommendations and I will be pretty much set or am I missing something. I will ride the area of the race acouple of times the weeks before the race to get more familiar with the trails.

I lift weights and walk/run 4-5times a week when the weather is bad, like this winter and mountain bike alot when it is nice out, but I am sure I will be drained after this, but that is part of the fun , right? I am planning to start slow take it easy and finish, but I am sure that is alot of people's plan before the adrenline starts flowing.

Thanks for the help guys, the H/S is located at the South Fork Dirt Riders Taylorville IL, April 6th so If any of you IL guys/girls are going maybe I will see you there. Thanks

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
You can try and take it easy, but as you said once the adrenaline starts flowing you start twisting the throttle more. That's normal though..... you'll do fine. It seems like your in good shape so you should be able to finish, just try to remain calm (you won't be able to but try anyway)

Those plastic roost deflectors are good for nothing more than saving you hands from flying rocks. After you sideswipe a few trees at a good rate of speed you'll go get you some barkbusters. You will most likely be the odd one out if you don't have a chest protecter, but If you don't feel comfortable with them then don't wear one. I didn't wear one at my first race, but when you start at the back of 350 riders that roost starts to hurt.

shookracer87

Oct 28, 2002
I agree with not getting discouraged if you race in bad conditions. My first two races ever were in rain and mud, and I didn't finish either race. I was discouraged, but I came back to the third race and the conditions were primo, and I had a blast.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Get your AMA card at the first race. I made the mistake last year of sending off for mine and it didn't get to me in time. I had to fight with them at entry to prove I had paid for it already. They wanted to charge me twice.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
wfodbiker

Tell me more about the CIDRA race. My sone went from an XR100 to a YZ85 over the winter and he wants to start racing also. I want to start him in the harescrambles. We plan to run all of Wardy's stuff but if I can find some easy one elsewhere I will take him to those also.

He is a little short so the main thing that gives him problems are steep hills. Gradual grade hills are fine for him but any hills where he has to balance and use lots of throttle control due to turns or tree's going up are just too hard for him right now.

Any races you can suggest?

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I would also like to get some info on the CIDRA and there events I know most are within an hour drive of me so that would be great. I checked out the AMA district 17 sigt and they are all last years dates.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Megacross has this years schedules posted, but it is just a schedule and no other information. Does CIDRA have a website? Here is the link for the schedule

http://www.megacross.com/district_17/schedule03.html

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
Not that I know of, I have tried to find one before with no luck. They have a phone number for a contact on the sight.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Oh yeah, don't forget to tighten your levers before you start the race. That was the one thing I forgot to check before my very first race. Half way through my first lap my clutch lever loosened up and was pointing straight down toward my left knee. Of course this happened right before we went into the single track section. I got bounced around like a pinball.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Go here: http://www.halls-cycles.com/ then click the Dist 17 HS Racing link on the left. Jay Hall is the HS rep so the info should be correct.

That said, I'd check out the Brushpoppers race at Morrison. The WFO races at Geneseo should be good as could the race at Byron. That's not saying anything bad about any of the others.

I'm not sure which of these events have mini races so be sure to call ahead.

Hope this helps.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Eric - If you want to venture a little further south of Springfield, check out the White City races. They usually put on two hare scrambles each year. As long as it hasn't rained there during the week, the course is great. They usually set up longer loops - 8 miles is common - so the laps don't get repetitive. I am thinking about making a run up to Taylorville next month because I've not raced there before.

Just remember, you're in Illinois and it's Springtime and it's going to be wet. In the nasty stuff, try your hardest not to run through the same deep rut that 100 bikes have already gone through. Keep your head up and look for alternative routes....the fastest guys don't always win but the smartest guys often do. Good luck!

Top Bottom