Txbigguy

Camp Tejas Chef
N. Texas SP
Jan 14, 2002
Ok guys I am getting ready for my first race comming up this weekend. I am putting on a new rear tire, chain and sprockets. I also plan on putting in a new spark plug & change the oil. Is there anything else that I should do to get the bike race ready? :aj:

:yeehaw:

Mike198

Jul 8, 2002
im going to second what los36 said, Dont use lock-tite. When you need to take the bike apart it just makes it a pain in the butt to get the bolts off. Just check every bolt before and after ever race.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I wouldn't enter the woods without locktite(BLUE NOT RED!), I can't count the times on a 80-100 mile ride a bolt came off and then you are stuck!

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
again, what kind of bike and what kind of racing?
I guess that I'll stay away from VOR from what Enduro Nut is saying :confused:

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I'd go through the entire bike before I rode it. I do this with new bikes and suggest you do it with your bike.

Clean and repack all of the bearings: steering head, rear suspension and swingarm. Take the airbox off of the bike, wash and reseal it with silicone. Check the wheel bearings for wear and pack them with grease. Clean, lube and adjust the throttle and clutch cables. Re-align the forks by loosening the front axle pinch clamp, bouncing the forks up and down, then tightening the clamp. I'd put anti-sieze on the threads of just about every bolt that I touched. You might use some loc-tite on sprocket bolts if you find some loose ones.

Anybody want to to that task list?

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
No, not the VOR - it was my Kaw., Husky and Yamaha that were the problems. Small stuff that drives you crazy :p . Motocross is a totally diff. situation, ride for 20-30 min. and stop. You get a chance to check things out :scream:
I can't speak for anyone else but the thumpers seem to stay together a little longer. When I tear it down typically it's still "together".

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
yeah, I was just messing with ya, _Nut. he he :)

I'm afraid of what the trees and rocks can do to me and my ride, so I don't stray from the MX track. I can imagine how much losing something would suck 30 or 40 miles from the truck!

Endurofreak

Aug 14, 2002
Yes, the thumpers do tend to stay together longer. My advise would be a day before the race, suit up in everything, and sit on your bike. (It helps to be quiet) And just make sure that everything is how its supposed to be. Are the bars in the right possition, are your pegs fit tight under your feet? Just the stupid basics are the things that will give you the advantage come race time.

---------------Be one with the bike--------------- :cool:

Endurofreak

Aug 14, 2002
Yes, the thumpers do tend to stay together longer. My advise would be a day before the race, suit up in everything, and sit on your bike. (It helps to be quiet) And just make sure that everything is how its supposed to be. Are the bars in the right possition, are your pegs fit tight under your feet? Just the stupid basics are the things that will give you the advantage come race time.

---------------Be one with the bike--------------- :cool:

Txbigguy

Camp Tejas Chef
N. Texas SP
Jan 14, 2002
The Colony is just a bit north of Dallas. My race is going to be round 2 of the Full Moon Series at Badlands. I missed the first round at Villiage Creek due to other engagements.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Always check and loc-tite your sprocket bolts. They come loose even after a good loc-tite. Check those grips!
I second the "pretend you are praticing" thing.
Count to five with every breath you take and count down with every exhale. It may sound silly, but try it after the gate drops.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom