TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
A friend of mine has organised for me to race his '77 CR125 at the vintage motorcross meets this year. It was a bit of a struggle getting used to the lack of bottom end. I couldn't believe how much I had to rev it to get it off the start gate. Man I must have had it at 3/4 throttle just to get it to move with bogging down or stalling.

After two practices before the first race I was slowly getting used to keeping it pinned of the start and in the corners. Come the first race (combined pre '78 125's and 250's), I managed to get out of the gates in about 3rd or 4th position. Even beat my mate who was next to me on his '75 Husky CR 250, much to his surprise. The glory didn't last to long though. Just before the first corner, after the long sweeping straight, I was passed by nearly all the 250's in the class. After 4 laps, I ended up coming 7th out of a field of 10.

I was happy though. I hadn't race in about 6 months, had never ridden this bike or track before, and still managed to beat 2 people. Unfortunately I didn't get to enter any other races. The ignition was shot and kept killing the plug.

Can't wait until the next race.

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Yeah man. My Brother grew up racing 125's in the early to late 70's...he was so used to pegging them, he got on a CR480 some years back, and got hurt really bad because he was so used to having to push bikes so hard. Gave the 480 a whole handful of throttle and boom!

As for vintage races, they are a BLAST! I raced my first last year, and I am getting set to run at the nationals at Budds Creek this Saturday. I am racing a 1972 Kawaski F9 350, which was an enduro originally. Ive got it all stripped down, and plastic tank and fenders, etc. The engine is seriuosly modded...the thing REALLY rips! Its got ALOT of low end Grunt. I am really not that competetive... I think the bike could keep up with anyhting, but damn those old ones are hard to hold on to for very long. 3 laps and Im hurtin! I could turn 10 or 15 laps on my 93 KX250, and not be so tired! THe running joke with the guys I run with is that I never get out of the seat. Pretty much true except for landing.

Im going to try to do better this year. The track I ran on last year was really NOT suitable for vintage bikes. STEEP doubles, tabletops...the kind of crap that bucks the assend up ...no fun. I nEVER got out of 3rd gear! It was like JUMP, turn, JUMP, turn, Whoops, Turn, JUMP turn...

Budd Creek has alot of nice straigtaways and great hills. There are a few jumps of course, but the track prep guys groom it especially for the vintage bikes for the nationals, so it ought to be a good time!

Top Bottom