srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
I picked up my new 250X about three weeks ago. Only had a chance to ride it that day so I was a little worried at how my first race would go.

We left Kansas Friday night to head for Amarillo. Saturday morning we went to the fairgrounds and signed up for Arenacross put on by Cycle City Productions. My boys have ridden in Arenacross races for the last three years, but it was through Clear Channel and they don't have a Womens class like Cycle City does. Cycle City also has Quad races so the track is much friendlier.

Seeing that I was on a bike that has 23 more hp and 70 more pounds that I'm used to with my TTR, I was scared half to death! I talked to the track officials and received permission to practice with the 80 class. Boy, did that cause a stir!! No one could tell I was a woman under my helmet and I had had a dozen people yell at me while I was lining up to practice that I missed my practice since the 125's just got off the track. Well, I showed them!! I stalled it three times before I even got 15 feet from the start! I did manage to get in two laps before they flagged us off. My husband gave me heck because I didn't take it out of first gear, though. I was still scared about the power.

When we were lining up for the heat race, I almost backed out. But there were only 6 women signed up and I figured I would be out on the track mostly by myself and wouldn't have to worry too much about being in the way. I was worried about the start because I hadn't practiced this yet. The gate dropped and I slowly let out my clutch and away we went. I went through the whoops with no problem and up and over the catapult jump. I put it in second going down the back side and shot around the corner down the front straight.
We came back around to the rhythm section and the two front runners had collided and were on the ground. After the rhythm section was a tabletop and the girl that was now in the lead had gone off the track. I was actually in second!! Well, for a corner or two anyways.. The previous leader had gotten back up and passed me but I still finished in third in my first Arenacross heat. When the Main came around I was more relaxed and felt much better. I ended up taking fourth in the Main since one of the girls that crashed in the heat didn't return to the Main which gave me a fourth overall. I went much faster in the Main, but no one crashed to give me an advantage.

We woke up early on Sunday and drove back to Kansas for a harescramble. I love this bike! It did great going up and down the creek beds. There are about three almost straight drops of about 6 to 8 feet and this bike took them in stride. It was great to be able to wheelie up out of them going out! On my TTr I would be dead tired after 6 laps. I felt like I could go forever with this bike. I was teamed with my husband in the Vet class in the two hour race. There were six teams and I don't know what we took, but I had a blast! I did dump it over in two turns but I didn't have a problem picking it up. I can't wait to get some time on the MX track and get to doing some jumping! :yeehaw:

Susan

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Way to go Susan! Hopefully things will just get easier and easier the more you ride the new "X" :thumb:

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Susan,
Great race and first ride report.... you need to copy this thread over to the Women's Forum, mx547 is asking about you and your new bike!!!
I got my CRF250X also, but my feet are 4 inches from the ground - have ridden it a couple of times, but not much. In fact, we were up on the county fireroads near Brown's camp last weekend and Randy was on my BBR and I was on the CRF, and we got pulled over by the park police, red lights and all(!) for rolling a stop sign.... dirt road out in the middle of nowhere. Randy explained I couldn't put my feet down, the guy had us switch back, but it felt great while I was on it! Was really light and responsive, altho springs are so stiff they may as well have been 2 x 4's for me. We have a guy going to put on a Kouba Link and lighter springs for me, hoping for a 3 inch drop without adversely affecting handling... will take a couple weeks to get all the parts etc. Will do a ride report then for sure!
-SusanP.
BBR230
CRF250X

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
I would love to hear how your changes work. We just slid up the front forks and backed out the rear suspension enough for me to touch the ground. I dumped it over twice because I lost my balance going too slow in a hairpin turn. Luckily the sandy corner broke my fall. If I had been able to get my foot down faster I may have been able to save it. After I get more time on the bike we may look into making more permanent changes to the bike.

It's possible mx547 will get to see me in action in a couple of weeks. We are thinking of going to OK to go racing.

Good luck and please let me know how it compares to the BBr once you have more time!
SusanE

Top Bottom