burchdogs

Mar 7, 2003
My 10 year old son wants to race for the first time on his XR100 this weekend and I was wondering if anyone had some quick mods. for the bike. It is an 03' and only have a few hours on it. The track already said he could enter the 60cc class and we went to practice last night on the track and I think he is ready to get his feet wet and maybe move up to a 2 stroker in the spring. Any help would be great.

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Since this is basically a pit bike/play bike, performance mods are neither simple nor cheap. You can drop serious $$$ in one of these, but I wouldn't bother. Take off anything that isn't necessary for riding mx --- sidestand and such, if there are any. Basically though, don't worry about it. Make sure he has proper (good) safety gear and tell him to just have fun. He isn't going to win (probably). Don't become a mini-bike parent. Let him ride, have fun, keep the coaching to a minimum unless he's doing something seriously dumb. And yeah, I've been down this road. My 11-year old daughter has had a series of dirt bikes, but got out of racing for a while and now just got back into it. She was very nervous about going back to racing, even though she's never been hurt. Why? She wanted to win first time out the gate in order to make me happy. I told her to just have fun, period. That's what it's all about.

Top Bottom