First riding experience on Trelleborg studded tires.

SpoogeMooge

Feb 19, 2002
Well after two years of dreaming of them I finally broke down and bought myself a set of Trelleborg studded tires. I picked them up at a local shop for $550 + tax. After spending that much cash on a set of tires I was praying for good results. My prayers have been answered. Installing them on my '02 YZ250F took a little more elbow grease than usual due to their sidewall stiffness but no big deal. So far I have put two long days on them and I've had a smile frozen to my face ever since. I have a pretty large practice track in central Pennsylvania consisting of fifteen jumps, whoops and a 60 foot freestyle kicker. Yesterday there was 4 inches of snow covering the frozen loam. After a few minutes crusing around an open field I had the confidence to run a few laps. The snow offered less than ideal traction, it was kind of like riding in mud, the front end was hydroplaning on top of the snow. While the front end was loose the back was tight. The carbide studs offered gobs of acceleration. Knowing there was more fun to be had, I brought out the trusty John Deer and plowed the track. The track was now one mile of ice with patches of dirt showing where the plow broke through. After the snow was cleared the bike felt like it was on rails. I could do all of the jumps including the 70 foot uphill triple. This is on glare ice! In the turns I could lay the bike way down with total confidence. The only downside besides price is the weight. I would guess that the Trellies are twice the weight of my normal Dunlops. This added weight took some of the hit out of my 250F and the bikes suspension lost some of its suppleness...no big deal. The tires have shown zero wear in two days of hard riding, not a single lost or broken stud, the little rubber stringies from the tire mold haven't even worn off yet. If you are living in the frozen North and your only winter motocross activities will be watching it on TV, these tires are for you. Two thumbs up!!!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Nice write, Spooge.

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
SM, I couldn't agree with you more. If you get the chance get them out on a tight winding frozen river (they do tend to skate a little more than a good set of screwed tires, but you have the added bonus of being able to use them in the dirt), there's as much fun to be had on the river as on the frozen track. I've got family and friends with sleds that are just hating my riding stories, we have pretty much zero snow here right now, which is just fine with me! :yeehaw:

Top Bottom