First sport bike

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
I'm sorry I can't copy and paste from my phone I'll try to cover everything.

I'm 5'6 120 lbs and 14 years old. Fair amount of riding experience. I live in Texas and am allowed to get a motorcycle license at 15. I would like to keep it under $3500. The engine size HAS to stay at or under 250cc. I'm leaning towards a ninja but am not sure. If I forgot anything please let me know. Any suggestions?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
The Ninja sounds like the only bike that fit fit into your parameters. If there is another 250 sport bike, then it doesn't have the same reputation. All of the other major 250 street rides are cruiser/jsm bikes. Naturally, there are probably other options out there, but that are obscure enough that you may have issues finding parts.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Def. the Ninja, I had a '99 and liked it for around town stuff. The redesigned them for '08 and got tons of great reviews with all of the new improvements.

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
Thank you :) time to start saving!!! ;)

02stampede

Jan 5, 2009
I think those new ninjas are under $3500 and they sold like hot cakes when they came out with the new style. Sweet looking bike for the money!

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
Yep does anyone have any dual sport recommendations under the same criteria?

Apr 30, 2007
Get a honda XR 250 with the lighting kit...

If you do happen to pick up a Ninja, go with the non 08/09 model. Even if the older ones are a bit less stylish...they are cheaper, and have a couple more horsepower. It will tip over in the parking lot, or while you're sitting on it, or in a slow corner. That is guaranteed!!!

Compare plastics prices from roughly 150 for a lightly scratched entire front piece for a 2007...to a whopping near 300 for just one side plastic for the new models.

You can find nearly everything you didn't want to know about them here - http://forums.ninja250.org/

Can't say enough good things about the Ninja really...except being young and foolish I would like a little more power.

Pick one of the older models up, and use the money you spent to pick up a good street helmet and armored jacket. You can ride without a chest protector in the dirt, crash, and survive with a few scratches, get up and laugh it off. A small tip over on the pavement, at even 10-15 mph can kill you without a helmet (not every time, but very very possible). If you aren't wearing anything more than a jeans and t-shirt when you tip, you'll have a nurse kindly scrubbing the road rash from your body with a scotch-brite pad. No joke.

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
Ya I'm VERY big on helmets wasn't sure if a riding jacket was a necessity but it'll be on the list. Thanks. So definitely stick to an '07 or under cause it's my first bike?

02stampede

Jan 5, 2009
I agree with justalonewolf007 totally. You WILL drop it so why not keep it inexpensive to repair. Yes, a good jacket and gloves are worth they're weight in gold. You can get some serious road rash even at 15 mph!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…