tules

Apr 5, 2008
So I have a lot of experience on the street with sportbikes, and I have some experience on a dirt bike in grass/gravel. I'm going to be hitting up a private (backyard) track in the near furture. flat track/ small jumps. Anybody have any tips for my first time? Going to be on a 100. either my ke or maybe a crf100.

I know it's different than sportbike track riding, so i just need some tips to keep up for first time. Thanks!!!

Last edited:

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
You won't be able to keep up your first 10 times out. Dirt riding is just too different than any other bike riding so it will take you a while to get the hang of it. Work on keeping speed up through turns and the rest will come with time, but the biggest difference between first and last is the time it takes to get through the turn. Alot of guys can jump anything and same cc bikes all go about the same speed in straightaways, so the biggest difference is how much speed you carry into the turn and how much speed you carry all the way through. You will very rarely see the good riders coast into turns. They usually have their throttle open all the way into the turn then full brakes for just a moment to get the bike to shift its weight, then it's alot of throttle again right back out of the turn. It will just take a lot of time to get used to that....

Apr 30, 2007
tules said:
So I have a lot of experience on the street with sportbikes, and I have some experience on a dirt bike in grass/gravel. I'm going to be hitting up a private (backyard) track in the near furture. flat track/ small jumps. Anybody have any tips for my first time? Going to be on a 100. either my ke or maybe a crf100.

If you're big enough for a CBR, you're going to be too big for either of those bikes...

Regardless, just take it slow at first, and WEAR FULL GEAR! The chances of a crash are prettymuch 100%.

As for how to approach the situation, it's best to sit back and let someone else take a lap while you watch. If they take a section super slow, there's usually a reason for it.

I usually ride a complete lap on a new track *without* catching *ANY* air. This will give you a feel for the layout of the track, any obstacles that may be above your level of skill, and give a chance for the bike to warm up a little.

Really, the bare basic of dirt riding is the same as street riding. Keep your eyes up, and look through the corners.

This will be a lot harder in the dirt since you'll be worried about ruts. They have a tendency to "throw" smaller bikes around.

There's also a "loose" feeling, as if the bike is jumping around underneath you when you are accellerating and going through faster straight sections...It's also kinda unnerving, but if you keep your eyes up, and weight back on the bike, you'll pull through just fine.

Jumps can be deceiving. Some have a "lip" or "kicker" that can be hard to see. If you aren't prepared, they can kick your back wheel up, and you will nose dive, and that's never a great feeling. Take them slower at first till you get a feel for what's going on.

When you start trying the jumps...keep a steady throttle as you go over them. Letting off at the last second will cause you to nose dive. Be in an "attack" position, which means elbows up, and lean forward some. If you lean back...your front wheel may come up too high, and you may come off the back.

Or...like I manage to do some of the time...You'll land on the back wheel...and the reaction of you trying to pull yourself back on the bike by the handlbars, will cause you to twist the throttle...making you fall off the back even more...and this usually continues till you either hit another obstacle, fall off the back of the bike, or somehow manage to regain control (not as easy as it sounds).

Past that, Have fun!!!...smile when you take a crash...laughing even helps quite a bit too...Pick the bike back up, and have another go at things...that's what riding is about! :)

Bones74

May 28, 2008
I couldn't agree more about it being different. I roadrace motorcycles and I just made a decision to get a new dirt bike after a 18 years off the dirt. That was very interesting. Kind of silly actually. :bang:

Top Bottom