Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Anyone here shoot IDPA?
I had my first experience with it today and I believe I've found yet another expensive hobby to participate in.

I don't know why it took me so long to try this! gotta go downstairs and load up some more rounds so I can play some more next week!

Yeah, I know it's a dirt bike site, but it's a wee bit cold out for biking (well, unless you have arctic gear and spiked tires).

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I've had some interest in IDPA but haven't made the jump. I'll stick with the blasting the zombies in my back pasture.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I waited a long time to try it out. Mostly 'cause I figured I'd make a fool of myself. Not the case at all. Everyone there was very helpful, and patient with all of my newbie questions. Questions I'm sure they have fielded dozens if not hundreds of times before.

My priority was not to shoot myself or anyone else. My time and misses on the target were secondary. I tried to be very deliberate with all of my moves, reloads, etc.

Another thing. I've never been terribly fond of my M&P. Now that I've used it the way it was designed to be used (not just standing behind the line and firing at 50 ft or better) I like the firearm a whole lot better.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I've really looked at doing the three-gun competition. I like the idea of doing more than one decipline.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
me too. I shoot indoor bullseye now. I can generally pull a mid to high 280s score.

IDPA appealed to me because it incorporates moving and shooting. I have to consider my cover, and still try not to shoot the friendlies. IPSC seemed like fun, but IDPA seemed to be more reality based scenarios and the weaponry is more like what you might actually wear concealed.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Papakeith said:
I waited a long time to try it out. Mostly 'cause I figured I'd make a fool of myself. Not the case at all. Everyone there was very helpful, and patient with all of my newbie questions. Questions I'm sure they have fielded dozens if not hundreds of times before...
...yeah, it wasn't because they saw a 7 foot tall giant with a gun. :laugh:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I started with IDPA and it is great practice for somewhat realistic scenarios. I actually enjoy the full-throttle pace oif USPSA stages more but any time yanking the trigger is good.

Neither comes close to 3-gun! Last year I got to work the National championship match (as well as the final 3 Gun Nation match) as an RO and it was a great experience. Now that I am more healthy I might try to shoot the nationals this coming year.

BTW, PK...we need a link to the scores. :)

My first match we had a Master class shooter finish at 48 seconds or so with 2nd place over 100. I was between 150 and 175.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
It was just a practice. There were scores, but we'll wait until I do a qualifier before I post up scores. 3 gun is on the list of things to do. I suppose I'll have to get that 22 conversion for the AR at some point :)

Top Bottom