dbmmohler

Mar 24, 2005
Pretty soon i am going to go to my local MX track to start learning how to race. I have trail ridden for many years and now want to start to race motocross. I have gove to my local mx track a couple of times to observe how people ride. Any advice for what i should do. I also feel a little nervous going out on the track for the first time with people who know what there doing racing around me. Any advice on what i should do so i dont get in the way of those who are expirenced.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
ride with the beginner/c class on practice day at the track you will be racing

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
The problem around here is that on practice days it's a free for all. No classes just open riding. I only get to a track once in a while and it does make it hard to practice around all the other faster guys. My advice is that when you hear other riders coming up on you hold your line. The other guys will get around you. If you suddenly try to turn and get out of their way you could be in for a collision.

Last edited:

dbmmohler

Mar 24, 2005
Thats the problem with my track, it's just open and free for all. Thanks for the advice and im looking forward to go there and start learning.

Reponator

Apr 5, 2005
I'm in the same boat. I just went to a track for the first time this weekend and it is the same free for all setup. My question is this, I roll most of the jumps and I almost got landed on by a faster rider behind me. I stuck to my line is there anything else I can do to avoid something like this? Any track manners advice is welcome. Thanks.

mladewig

Mar 2, 2004
I would say just stay on your line and dont worry about the fast guys behind you. They will find a way past but if you change lines all the time thats when it gets difficult. I would say just keep looking in front of you and dont worry about the fast guys, they should know what they doing.
I know this story well, cause I am always the slow guy in your way! :)

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
While the faster guys are riding, walk out and see if they consistently use one side or the other on the bigger / blinder jumps. If you see that they have to take the outside to get the run at a long jump, hug the inside edge to stay away from them. If they routinely hit the inside to set up for the next turn, ride the outside edge.

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
i was in the same boat as you last year. it helps to make friends with a couple guys that have been doing it for a while. Most guys will be happy to give you tips and it's always good to have someone watching your back. Also, try to figure out when the track is less crowded, usually first thing in the am or just before closing and do most of your riding during those times. Don't get discouraged, last year I was literally the slowest guy on the track and now i am the second slowest guy.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Great advise above. I would just say ride, have fun and stay out of the way, especially on big jumps. Stay to the side of the track, don't change lines anywhere near the jump, don't freak of someone lands close to you etc, don't stop on the landing ramp (belive it or not, I've seen it in a race), but most importaintly have fun:)

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
Pretty much what everyone else has said. DO NOT change your line at the last minute to try and get out of the way... The faster riders are VERY experienced at passing people, and will find a way around you... In my area, I believe it is a general rule of thumb that the slower riders who are rolling the jumps should stay to the right (obviously follow rule #1 and make this a last second thing)...

- B

syko

Jan 10, 2004
I would say forget about the others on the track, especially the fast guys.
they know what they are doing, they know what to expect on a 'free for all' practice track. if you are in their way, that's their problem not yours. they should be skilled enough to figure it out.

I've never been phased by slower guys on the track, I'm always aware there are novices learning how to ride and I have enough respect for those guys to give them the space to learn. If i get p!ssed at a novice I usually end up questioning my own abilities not the new guy's.

so don't sweat it, just focus on your ride and be aware there are others sharing the space. that's it.
Have fun.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom