first top end rebuild ( question)

CRrider125r

Jan 9, 2007
I just rebuilt the top end on my 2001 cr 125 i also put new boyeson 2 stage pro series reeds on it. When the bike is at idle i can hear a small ticking noise. i turned the engine over slowly and did not hear any thing abnormal.could this just be the spark plug firing? i have ridden around at about 1/4 throttle and let it cool down competely 2 or 3 times and there was no loss of compression and niether did the noise get any lowder.so i was just wondering is this noise normal? If not what could it be?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Ticking at idle, that's not generally an octane problem because compression pressures are very low with the throttle closed. You will get some noise transmitted through a cylinder every time it fires, power valves tend to make some noise too. It's really hard to make any judgements without actually hearing it. If it didn't click before the rebuild and did afterwards, I would be concerend. It never hurts to pull the pipe and carb/reeds and take a look inside to see if everything is wearing in properly and make sure no wrist pin clips popped out.

CRrider125r

Jan 9, 2007
OK thanks thats the thing i am not really sure if it was doing it before i just listened real close to the engine ater the rebuild.but thanks ill take a look at it.
How long would it take if it was a wrist pin clip it would of lost compression right after running i have ridden it about three times for a good ten minutes each time.

CRrider125r

Jan 9, 2007
ya this is my first bike and i admit i am extremely paranoid about it all my friends always make fun of me because i get so worried over little things with my bike. lol
but thanks alot. :nod:

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
I'm sure all your hearing is engine noise and the motor turning over. If you roll your tongue like thtttthththt sort of deal the motor will sound kind of like that. Your just being paranoid because youre just nitpicking thinking that something is wrong for sure.

Top Bottom