markymark77

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 4, 2002
Well while slapping my plastic back on my 02 CR 250, I un nesesarily cranked one bolt holding the right side pannel on so tight that I stripped the bolt hole:scream: WHAT WAS I THINKING!!! Anyway is there a way I can fix this? It looks like a nut has been spot welded onto the sub frame. SO either I can grind off the stripped nut and have a new one welded on or drill it out and install some sort of insert in order to use the same factory bolt.If I had the nut ground off the sub frame & replaced, would it have to be the same alloy as the sub frame? :uh:

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Try a Heli-coil insert. You can buy the kits at auto parts stores. You'll need to know the thread size and diameter of the hole (usually are M6x1.0 for those types of bolts). you drill out the old hole, tap a new thread, and then insert the coil that will serve as the new threads. I've had good luck with them...even repaired a cylinder head bolt that way.

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
heli coil or thread insert either one is the way to go.

the nuts in the sub frame are stell and drwan into the aluminum..not welded.
there is no convenient way fopr the average rider to replace them.
(you can by a tool that does this procedure,but the helicoil or threaded insert is much faster, easier,and less expensive)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom