joshp

May 2, 2005
I just changed the radiator fluid and when I drained the fluid there was black flakes in it. I continued to fill the bike up with water run it turn it off and drain it to try and get on the crud out. This didn't work so I just left the drain plug out and ran water through the radiator opening, but the flakes still were coming out (I couldn't see them in the stream just in the drain pan). When I filled the radiator up with new coolant there were a few flakes floating. Is this something to worry about or is this typical? How do you know when it's time to change the radiator?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
did someone use stop leak on it??

joshp

May 2, 2005
motoguru said:
if the fluid flows with no restriction and there is no internal or external leaks or overheating occurs i wouldn't worry about it. but if you or someone put stopleak in the system and your using special coolants such as engine ice there is a possibility that the chemicals have broken down the "pepper".
if you are worried about it tear the cooling system down(inspect the rads, hoses, cylinder, impeller, seals, rad cap)

Crap. I bought the bike used. I don't know if the previous user used stopleak in it. I put honda coolant in the bike because I read on the back of the honda bottle that conventional coolant for cars has silicates in it that can clogging so hopefully this will be okay.

Are there places that clean out radiators and inspect? If so how much does this typically cost? I didn't realize radiators can cost like $350 for a dirtbike. That's more than the radiator for my car.

hog

Nov 13, 2001
I have only had this happen one time. Its carbon from the combustion chamber. You have a blown head gasket. Yes, I know the bike still seems to run fine but. Push it hard and see if it boils the coolant easily. If it does thats confimation as the super heated gas from combustion while leaking into the coolant causes it to heat up.
I hope thats not your problem but I would put money on it.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
dont get all hyped up youll be ok , these guys will help ya through this and there are places to get parts used if need be .........no panicking yet

i bought an 88 honda and found the flakes in it . it was fine the previous owner couldnt find the leak and used bars leak on it . i found the leak in a hose and flushed all that stuff out .....whalaa all better for 20$

joshp

May 2, 2005
hog said:
I have only had this happen one time. Its carbon from the combustion chamber. You have a blown head gasket. Yes, I know the bike still seems to run fine but. Push it hard and see if it boils the coolant easily. If it does thats confimation as the super heated gas from combustion while leaking into the coolant causes it to heat up.
I hope thats not your problem but I would put money on it.

I noticed a while back (don't recall how hot it was outside) after I finished riding I turned the gas off and was going to let the bike run out of gas. Before the bike ran out of gas coolant came out of the overflow tube. I then turned off the bike and my dad had said that this is probably normal because the bikes are cooled from air flowing through the radiator and when sitting in neutral they just heat up; but my dad has never owned a watercooled bike so this is more of a guess on his part.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
It's no guess; your dad is a smart man and is right on the money. Radiators need airflow in order to operate. That is why cars and streetbikes have fans behind the radiators: to create airflow across it when the vehicle isn't moving.

Now go apologise to the old man for disparaging his intelligence on an internet forum. ;)

joshp

May 2, 2005
mtk said:
It's no guess; your dad is a smart man and is right on the money. Radiators need airflow in order to operate. That is why cars and streetbikes have fans behind the radiators: to create airflow across it when the vehicle isn't moving.

Now go apologise to the old man for disparaging his intelligence on an internet forum. ;)

Oh I realize he is way smarter than I am. So this is normal? In that case I'll check to see if the bike overflows next time out when I ride it to to see if the radiator heats up and fluid comes out of the overflow tube. I should mention that I added what I thought to be coolant to the radiator but it ended up being water and flakes. I sucked as much of this out as I could. Prior to this I didn't see any flakes. The previous owner I'm pretty sure took good care of the bike. Before I bought it he rebuilt the shocks did the top end put on a new chain and sprocket.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Yes, it is normal. Without airflow over the radiators, the bike WILL overheat.

It's not about riding, it is about running the engine while sitting still.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom