Flatland Drills? Preparing for singletrack

iroc8210

Jun 26, 2006
Hey Everyone...I was hoping to find some stickies on this but didn't (Soooo, sorry if its a stupid question :ugg: . Then I went back through May/June threads searching but didn't quite see anything.

I just moved up from a kx100 to a 125sx, so I went from flat footing with both feet to tip-toeing with one foot. I want to gain confidence in my slower riding/turns for the sandy single track of northern Michigan. Does anyone know any specific drills I can work on before I jump in head first and get into the trails? Its definitely going to take some getting used to the hydraulic clutch from a cable...the thing feels like a light switch, its either engaged or its not.

If all else fails...I'll make myself an obstacle course in the back yard (its a big yard) and .

Thanks in advance!

~Cori

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Yea, just ride and practice. The good thing about sand is that when you are almost stopped and need to put a foot down the tires will usually be sunk in a little and it's a lot easier to touch. I'm from Michigan as well (Oscoda) and used to tippy-toe my 125 on the sandy trails. Just ride, you'll get used to it and gain all the confidence you need!

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
Figure-8's are a great practice drill that you can do just about anywhere. Start off trying to be consistent with the size & arch of the 8's on both ends (righthand & lefthand turns), then go for speed and tightening up on the length of the 8. You'll learn about the balance point of the bike and how to change the lean angle with body positioning, weighting the pegs, pushing on the bars and countersteering. Do them seated for awhile, feet up if possible, then when you get good, do them standing up. Sounds simple, but there's plenty to be learned and gained.

Top Bottom