Flicking the bike looks so natural...

Sandjunky

Feb 3, 2004
... so why does it seem so hard to do? Now granted, I don't jump much yet because the people I ride with are more into technical trails and we ride open desert, but I really want to learn how anyway. When I watch the videos and everyone is flicking the bike to scrub off speed or shorten a jump, they look so natural and smooth. It even looks safer and smoother on the landing than just a straight shot most of the time. I geuss I just start small and build up my confidence with subtle movements first and then work into the whips and flicks... right? I know there is some info covering this, but any more tips from the "good guys" would be cool. Thanks!
BTW, how bad did you wipe out when you were learning?

Last edited:

Lost

Nov 12, 2000
I wanna know too! I jst started to turn the bars a bit to improve stability in the air. I would love to get better at the flick. I guess it just seat time, at least for me!

Sandjunky

Feb 3, 2004
Hi Lost. I figure this topic has been beat to death, which explains why nobody replies. I geuss I just have to nut up and start trying it. There is some pretty good tutorials that were easy to find with the search function. Good Luck!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Turning at the last second on the jumpface to srub speed and heigth can be very tricky. I still can't do it consistently enough to feel safe doing it.

While working your way up to it, take off straight and practice making changes once in the air. That way, once you do start throwing the bike into the air already leaned and/or turned, it will be natural for you to recover from it. I would search on (and work on) whipping the bike before flicking it on the face of jumps.

Try here:
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=122382&highlight=whips

Rmzracer83

Nov 25, 2005
Hey I know how.....

...... to do it but it's hard to explain for me. Start on a mini bike like a 50 or 70 (i started on a 70) find like a camel hump and just go over and kinda take your legs and kinda like twist your body and twist the bars and push them down kinda its just weird to explain. On my 125 I just go off leaning to the side and my bike whips so I dunno. It can bite you though lol. Once you get it down it looks really cool though :laugh: (the jump should get bigger as the bike gets bigger)

Top Bottom