Float level fine tuning

Marsh

Feb 26, 2004
I'm getting a little tired of ripping out my carb on this '90 200 I've got!

The bike was way out on the jetting. I've got that set great - 155,45,1173 in the middle. Now, I still have gas peeing out after a ride when it sits there, off, with the gas valve on. Adjust, adjust, adjust. Still peeing.

So. I borrowed the external guage from the local shop to see where I was. Still rich.

I adjusted things perfect following the service manual. Just went out for a rip. Shut 'er down and left the gas on to see if there was a puddle later. Yep! Puddle. Could the floats still be out?

Any advice?

Originally I used the measuring method between the float and the carb body. Too rich. Peeing.
Using the tool the floats are perfect but it still pees! :bang: I am ready to just live with it and remember to always turn the gas off. What do you think?

Marsh.

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
Look at the float and needle. Make sure the float isnt cracked and filling with gas. My guess is your rubber tip on the float needle is worn. Look on the KDX main page under tech tips. It shows a drawing of what they should and should not look like.

Marsh

Feb 26, 2004
Oh ya. A new seat was put in at the beginning of the tuning. I figured that was the problem but no.
Good point. I forgot to mention that.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/

tech tips/engine/carb float level ...

but it sounds like you have tried most of what it has to say.... my guess would be float is sinking (float it in gas for a while and see if it sinks)... or needle and seat valve is sticking/flawed (take it apart and clean and inspect).. if those two things are working right, there should be no way for the gas level to get high enough to 'pee' out the vent.... maybe an occasional drop while riding (you'd never notice that)...

(edit- sorry I was writting as you posted)

Marsh

Feb 26, 2004
Well I'm glad you mentioned sinking.
I built up a 1982 KD80 for my sister-in-law and it had brass floats. There were two small holes in the bottom of each float. I soldered things up and that bikes runs like new. So. I have run into the odd sinking float but never had the experience with the plastic ones.
So it is possible for them to sink or leak as well?
If so, that would make great sense. My gut is telling me that the set up is lean but the guage says perfect. If the float has a bit of fuel in it, it will sit lower and give a false read.

I guess I'll have to take it off again!!

Any other builds to this guy, gals? If it's not leaking?

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Marsh said:
Oh ya. A new seat was put in at the beginning of the tuning. I figured that was the problem but no.
Good point. I forgot to mention that.
New seat?? On my '90 the seat is not removable. Had the same problem though. Had to sand the seat with thin strips of 1500 wet/dry wrapped around the end of a q-tip. That got it about 95%---but fixing the worn spots on the petcock valve really took care of it!! If you rub the mating surface on flat surface covered w/1000 or 1500 grit you will readily see the polished area and the unpolished areas(which are the worn spots). Some suggest gently grinding away until the area is completely flat--for a good seal with the rubber gasket it rides on. I elected to fill in the worn spots with JB Weld and then sand flush---some advise against this---however, I don't need to leave a pan under the carb to catch all the gas leaking out anymore. Worked for me!

Marsh

Feb 26, 2004
Sorry. New needle not seat.

For a different reason the petcock had to be replaced with a new OEM one.

The needle and seat are the 'secondary valve' on these things so I'm not understanding how the petcock cured your same problem there.
I sure as heck don't want to sand the seat but ya, I never thought of that one. Thanks. That would suck of the seat was garbo'.

Bad carb seats. Common?

Mike.

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
Marsh said:
Sorry. New needle not seat.

That would suck of the seat was garbo'.

Bad carb seats. Common?

Mike.
Yes!!!! It's quite common. Do a search---you'll see.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
'Carvr suggested the sandpaper Q-tip method as above for mine

I also lowered my float 1mm

Been pee free eversince!

shr

Uhhh...
Apr 8, 2002
You should always shut your petcock off every time you stop the engine, even if you are just taking a 5 minute rest.

hunter1

Feb 27, 2004
Does the level of gas in your tank make a difference to the problem ie:does it leak when the tank is full or below half? Make sure that the carb is pushed as far over as possible before securing mounts, the carb should tilt as far to the right (when you are on the bike) as possible.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…