Old-rider

Dec 1, 2004
I have a 99KX125 that I cannot seem to control the fuel level on. The carb often, not always, fills to the point that fuel comes out of the vent tubes when the bike is not running. My suspicion is that the fuel valve is not working correctly, but when inspecting it looks perfectly fine. The rubber tip is even with no apparent wear, the rubber is not overly hard and the pin within the valve still springs back when compressed. The seat for the valve also looks fine and the float looks OK as well (does not have any leaks). I have set the float level as per spec but that does not seem to have much affect on how much fuel comes into the carb bowel.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Can a fuel valve be defective and not show any obvious faults? How much strength does the pin in the fuel valve supposed to have? I set the float height by tipping the carb over to about a 45 degreee angle so that the tang on the float just touches the pin on the fuel valve. If I turn the carb totally upside down the weight of the float is enough to fully compress the pin into the fuel valve, is that normal or does that mean that the srping in the fuel valve is now too weak and a possible problem. I have been told to try a new fuel valve and a new float but I do not want to start chasing problems by replacing everything including things that seem fine hoping the problem eventually gets corrected. Any expert advice would be appreciated.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
get some carb cleaner and take the carb apart and spray every little opening and hole, its prob just a piece of dirt clogging something up in there. had this happen many times and thats usually the case. Just had it happened when i re-jetted a piece of dirt clogged a hole and when the gas was turned on it poured out the tubes all over the place. Once cleaned it was fine.

uts

Jan 8, 2004
Maybe your float height setting method is inaccurate. Each bike has a measurement to use, which you will get from a manual.

Top Bottom