kdx357

Mod Ban
Nov 20, 2001
in eric gorrs book it shows how to set the floats , i was wondering about the bar that connects the floats and depresses the valve or needle.the little tongue that pushes the valves plunger is bent down and then bent again at a light angle that is almost flush with the bar connecting the floats to the carb. is that normal, gorrs book says that to set the floats you should make the horizontal mark parralel with the carb body when the needle or valve is seated and the plunger is fully extended. mine is at about a 20to 30 degree angle could this cause my lean jetting.

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
I have not read Gorr,s book, but the horizontal mark he's talking about is probably on the plastic float itself (the seam?), and yes it should be parallel with the carb body. If you're holding carb upside down and the floats are shooting upward at a 20-30 degree angle when lightly seated on needle then yes, float level is too low. Also make sure carb is clean. Take jets out, clean everything with solvent, & blow jets & ports out w/ compressed air. If there is one grain of sand stuck in a jet, it will effectively decrease jet size.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
..when the needle or valve is seated and the plunger is fully extended.

1. Don't worry about the metal tab that seats the needle. Leave it at the angle it is.

2. DO be careful when changing the float level. It is easy to depress the spring loaded pin in the needle, and that will make your float level observation (and thus adjustment) wrong. If you have the carb out, and hold it upside down to adjust the float, the spring pin WILL be depressed. The weight of the floats is enough to do that.

16mm is the measurement from the carb body to that molded line kdxtaz mentions. That will make that line parallel to the carb body.

Your kdx will 'pee' less on it's kickstand if you lower that a couple mm.

And you DO NOT 'bend' the floats!! You adjust the level by moving the TANG that actually seats the needle.

kdx357

Mod Ban
Nov 20, 2001
ya thats what i did i let the carb sit at a light angle on my table and i bent the tabs leading into the float with nn pliers. bike runs good , spark plug color after wfo chop golden on a cold day, should i do chops at 1/2 and other settings too?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Plug chops at other throttle settings will work, given that it's done correctly. Usually the other circuits are set more by 'feel' ..which is to say throttle response.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom