SADude

Jul 8, 2004
Hi

I am currently having a problem getting the power to the ground, this mainly happens when I am doing long, steep hill climbs. My back tire breaks free as I near to top of the climb, when I open the throttle to keep the momentum of the bike and the RPM start to go into the power band. The hill climbs I am speaking of are those ones that become steeper as you near the top of the climb.

Would a flywheel weight improve this and what size flywheel weight? Or should I just put on better rubber at the back as my current tire isn't the best (D739, it has never hooked up well even when new). I will be getting a new tire this weekend, so I will know whether it is the tire or not soon.

My KDX200 has a FMF Gnarly pipe, powercore2 silencer and Boysen Reed petals, for some back round information.

Please help!!!

Thanks
Paul

bake

Sep 20, 2001
I bought my kdx last week and took it out hill climbing immediately, I noticed it wont climb with brute torque like my WR, also my sucess was way better with my butt planted as far back as I could.

Because it was a sand climb I didn't have to worry about going over backwards I could just keep it pinned in 2nd or 3rd, my opinion is the flywheel is already heavy enough.

Is your back tire up to snuff?

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
IMO I don't think a Flywheel will help you there. When the terrian sucks it sucks. The tire might help but its rider style more than anything. Practice that hill and you will figure out how to get the best of it ;) Also go to a bigger sprocket in the rear for more torque

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
You are already going to try a new tire--ask your friends that ride the same terrain what type/brand they have found to be best. I learned a long time ago, I would rather spend top dollar for a great rear tire than to push up just one hill!
Try lower gearing--a 12 tooth front sproket will not require you to buy anything but the $12-$14 sproket. You will not have to adjust or replace chain guide, chain, etc. and it is fast and easy to do. Some even change the front sproket from ride to ride. Lower gearing will let you climb slower with the engine still in the power band.
As far as flywheel weights--I remember just one being available for KDX and there are those that like them. I am sure someone will refer you to the web site for them--Somebody in Oregon or at least out west in USA.
Ride Safe--John

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I think the flywheel is probably heavy enough in stock trim. Your best bet is to try to improve your riding style. Work on getting really good at controlling the amount of power to the wheel with the throttle and Clutch. Also work on moving around on the bike to keep as much weight on the rear wheel as you can without loosing steering abilitity on the front. Lastly, make sure your suspension is set up, the stock settings are quite good for a 145-170lbs rider. Good luck and practice a lot, its the best mod you can do:)

layoutd

May 17, 2004
flywheel weight made my hill climbing a lot easier. less wheel spin and could go slower and torque it too. i have a very similar setup as you, without the silencer. oh yeah, it doesn't stall on downhills with the weight.

Last edited:

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I like my flywheel weight (10 oz.). The biggest difference I see is the ability to do low RPMs and not stall it. It made only a minor difference in the wheel spin department, but every little bit helps. My modifications gave me more power... the flywheel weight helped smooth it out and offers more control of the power.

Steahly Products Inc. 1-800-800-2363 or 1-541-535-4896. 3850 Pioneer Rd. Medford, OR. 97501

Quailchaser

Jan 30, 2004
Some one said "Clutch". I'll say it as well...clutch. 2 strokes require a much different approach to riding than the 4 strokes do. Learning to use the clutch on climbs will make you a better rider than trying to turn your two stroke into a thumper. That being said...a flywheel weight will make the "hit" more manageable, as would an auto clutch.

cat

May 3, 2005
SADude said:
Hi

I am currently having a problem getting the power to the ground, this mainly happens when I am doing long, steep hill climbs. My back tire breaks free as I near to top of the climb, when I open the throttle to keep the momentum of the bike and the RPM start to go into the power band. The hill climbs I am speaking of are those ones that become steeper as you near the top of the climb.

Would a flywheel weight improve this and what size flywheel weight? Or should I just put on better rubber at the back as my current tire isn't the best (D739, it has never hooked up well even when new). I will be getting a new tire this weekend, so I will know whether it is the tire or not soon.

My KDX200 has a FMF Gnarly pipe, powercore2 silencer and Boysen Reed petals, for some back round information.

Please help!!!

Thanks
Paul

howzit Paul. I'm in Durban. I bought a new KDX a couple weeks ago and haven't even run it in yet. (Too much work pressure and too obsessive about prepping the bike. Hopefully my Hyde bashplate arrives by the weekend.)

Hills that get steeper ... I think they're all like that here. ;)

I thought about getting a CRF230 but then I got the KDX after all, because the CRF weighs as much as a WR250F and it felt a bit small/short. But that bulletproof aircooled 4-stroke is quite suitable for the hilly, rocky terrain.

I mentioned the Steahly flywheel to my friend [who just replaced his 250EXC with a 200EXC] and he said you don't need one on the KDX. But the guys who posted here saying they like them ...it sounds like it's worth trying. The first time my friend rode the 200EXC, he wasn't so sure it worked better than the 250 (which he said came on too strong for him), but now after the second ride he said it climbs well, the front wheel doesn't lift, but you can't "plonk it". oh, he said the tires were excellent, soft and wear quickly, but he was thinking he would probably buy them in future anyway. He hasn't gotten back to me to say what they are. (Does anyone here know what tyres the KTMs come with?)

Anyway, if you do try the Steahly flywheel weight, let us know.

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
Hi Everyone

Sorry I haven't said anything since my first post. I have been a bit snowed under at work and I have been doing a bit of looking into it, with people I know and talking to some of the dealers The consensus, is no flywheel weight. Other that the guys from Russell Campbell Racing http://www.russellcampbellracing.co.za/

I spoke to Alex from ALPHA MCDELTA ENGINEERING CC in Pinetown here in South Africa and he said it was all about proper gearing and carrying more momentum into the climb. He suggested I should go for longer gearing 14/48. I currently run 13/49 but will try going back to stock gearing 13/47 ( thing 14/48 is a bit to long). Maybe this will help be carry more speed at the bottom of the climb and prevent me from having to climb into to power band too much. I also spoke to Gerhard form HMW in Pietermaritzberg he said go to a 12/47 of 13/50 gearing. What I will do is try both and find out what work best for my riding style, I changed the to the 13/49 before I got the full FMF Pipe and Boysen Reed petals, so I will go back to stock just to see what happens.

My back tire will be replaced this weekend, I will either go for the Kenda Carlsbad, Bridgestone M402 (Same as the KTM's) or Michelin M12.

I do use my clutch a lot, so I think I have that one covered. I however have a tendency to stand a lot and I get quite far forward when I climb hills, so will try get more weight over my back tire like you have all suggested. Maybe the combination of everything will work for me, I'll try one at a time though.

Thanks for all the responses, I will stay in touch.

Cat if you are keen for a chat about the KDX 200 you have just bought, you can email me on cunninghamp@conlog.co.za (work) or pcunningham@absamail.co.za (Home) or phone me on 082 940 4820 or (031) 2681163 (w).

Cheers
Paul

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
Doesn't a wider tire sap some of the power? I know that a wide tire would offer more traction, but are there any disadvantaged of running a wider tire?

GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
I did a couple of valley of 1000 hill rides & know xactly what type of hills you refer to.
Momentum is what you are looking for. Once you stopped you are stuffed & just go into a wheelspin when trying to pull away. No sprocket size or engine size or more bottom end is gonna help there ( trying to pull away ).
After lots of xperimenting i ended up with a 14/47 combo. It gives you the longer gearing to keep the magic momentum.
Hit the hill with second gear for as long as possible & drop to first & control with the clutch from there to keep your momentum over the top. Once you stopped somewhere up the hill, go back down & try again. Practice practice practice.
Seems that your friends from ALPHA MCDELTA ENGINEERING knows what he is talking about.

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
I have a '98 kdx200 and I got better low end and hill climbing by ditching the boyesen reeds I had installed and going to fmf torque reeds. The boyesen reeds might have a little more top end, but they definately have less low end in my 200.

Bob

Top Bottom