YZ/250

Dec 17, 2006
I ride in the woods with my yz 250. Whats a good flywheel weight for the bike? Any good places to buy online?
thanks
Cameron

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Look at the gytr flywheel weight, available from any Yamaha dealer. They are just about perfect for the yz 250 for any condition.

The price is about 100.00. However, it is an entire flywheel with a weight welded on.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
If you can get the GYTR weight for $100, definately go that route. That's the same price of the Steahly and it's much easier to just swap flywheels than it is to try to remove the weight if you decide you need to run without it.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
I've always wondered why people consider a flywheel weight a standard / necessary woods mod?

I sort of understand for casual trail riding, but why on earth would you want one for woods racing?

When I'm racing in the woods especially in a straightaway, I look forward to the "hit" to catch up to those ******* 4 smokers. Maybe I'm missing something.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
If your bike has no bottom end, it helps when you're trying to pop the front wheel up from a near stop. The flywheel weight helps reduce fatigue so you can ride faster longer. I've had mixed results while hill climbing. It certainly makes the bike easier to ride while flat-tracking.

The hit doesn't do anything to help you catch up with the 4-strokes, it just makes the bike hard to ride and wears you out. It's the way the bikes make power but there is no advantage to it. Having a little snappier throttle response will rocket you out of the hole a little better, but the flywheel weight will not slow you down at all in a long straightaway.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom