MUDMAX

Jan 7, 2003
I was about to buy a FMF pipe....but a friend said "don't buy FMF, they cracks. Buy PC! ". I just want to know about you guys, how is your FMF or ProCircuit ???? (I am pretty sure that i am not the only one in that situation.....) Thanks for your comments.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
I've got a PC and like it. They mostly give you more top end power and allow you to rev out higher. They are better quality than FMF but FMF has different pipes to enhance different power bands. So if you want to enhance low or mid range then go with FMF. Otherwise go with PC.

gto-17

Aug 31, 2000
Originally posted by MUDMAX
I was about to buy a FMF pipe....but a friend said "don't buy FMF, they cracks. Buy PC! ". I just want to know about you guys, how is your FMF or ProCircuit ???? (I am pretty sure that i am not the only one in that situation.....) Thanks for your comments.

I'm unware of the crack situation, but I've crashed mine on trees and
rocks and after returning from repair no mention of that type of issue.
Matter of fact I dumped my PC for the FMF Gnarly because of the thicker
material. I'm pleased with mine... Gnarly is great for woods but on long
MX tracks it runs out quick!

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Run a search on the pipes, we had a thread a week back that talked about different quality control issues between FMF and PC. Not many people had a whole lot of good to say about FMF; cracking at the welds, poor fitment, no change in power delivery (when told it would be affected), etc. I've got the PC and haven't regretted it!

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
I put an FMF Rev on my '03 KDX 220 a couple months ago. It definitely added very noticable top end power with no loss of low end. I'm pleased with the performance. The fit was off of course. The end of the pipe came out about 1/2" short and 1/4" low. I had to drill the mounting holes in my silencer larger to give me some adjustment and then use some pressure to force it together a bit.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I too have the PC. I chose mine because it looks cool. That a valid reason, right?

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
even though i was one complaining about the FMF, id have to say It is the way to go. I have a FMF and 2 dyno ports. The FMF is the best....I also have an FMF and a PC for my KX 250 and 125, and theFMF is the way to go there also....the KDX is the only bike i had any problems with , and that was just on fitment....Go with the FMF and you'll be happy

dcatt

Dec 12, 2000
I had a 94 KDX and had a Dyno-port pipe on it and it was fun to ride but,all the power was on the bottom, which made it spin when in tricky slick situations and a handful at times. I then bought a Pro-Circuit pipe and the power was much better and broader over the powerband. I have a FMF on the KDX that I currently have (A 95 200) and to tell you the truth I liked the PC better, but the FMF is also a good pipe it just doesn't feel quite as powerful. One thing, if that matters to you, the PC had a better plated finish on it, a much better shine than the FMF and it stayed that way for the most part while I had the bike. With the three different pipes you would notice a difference in where the power came on. The Dyno-Port on the bottom, The PC in the mid, and The FMF pretty much all through the power range. Hope this helps.

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
i'll agree with everything you said dcatt, but one of my dyno ports is a bottem pipe like you said, the other i sent back, and he did something to it, and it is more of a mid pipe...About the finish, you can get some Mothers Mag and aluminium polish. this stuff woks great and it'll look brand new again.

MUDMAX

Jan 7, 2003
Thank you everybody for answers and comments. I am now 60-40 for the FMF, but I'm still concerned about the finish of the FMF. Will it stays on ??? ( to say the truth, I prefer the PC finish, but I am looking for a good powerband...).

Thanks, MudmaX.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
About quality.  I have the same FMF pipe on my '99 KDX that I bought new with my '96 KDX.  So, my pipe is almost 7 years old now.  No cracks at mounting joints or nothing.  I did fall on a rock and dent it, so I sent it off to have the dent repaired.  It's still holding up fine.  No problems.

GREENHORNET

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2003
i'VE GOT A GNARLY PIPE ON MY 2001 KDX220
LOOKS GREAT BUT IS LOOKS EVERYTHING WHAT ABOUT
POWER AND PERFORMANCE? i SILL WONDER WHATS BETTER PC OR FMF- WHAT ABOUT SILENCERS PLEASE HELP

KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
Hello,
I have had a PC pipe on my 00' KDX 200 for over 2 years now and have not had any problems as of yet......except for falling and denting the pipe. I have both the worksfinish and platinum pipe. Kudos to PC for making a great fitting pipe and silencer.

Big Fred

Nov 13, 2002
I just put a FMF Gnarly & silencer on my 03 KDX 220. The fit was perfect and the low end power boost is incrediable. I noticed that it blows gas/oil from the cylinder head, but noting to worry about.

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
I've owned several of each. The FMF's hold up much better. I had a PC leak at a weld joint when it was less than a year old (KX250). I've owned 4 FMF's and never had a problem with any of them. I highly recommend the FMF over the PC. The key is which one. For a KDX200 I'd buy the Gnarly or Fatty to increase the low end. For a KDX220, I'd buy a rev pipe to get more high end (because it already has plenty of low end). Just a few more thoughts from personal experience.
JCW

winterhank

Nov 27, 2002
Just put a FMF Gnarley "Gold Pipe" and Turbine Core2 on my 02 KDX 220 and found that it fit perfectly. Maybe I'm lucky.

I am extremely impressed with its performance. (Actually scared the hell out of me when the front end popped up in 4'th gear).

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
Winterhank, How in the world do you get 4th gear wheelies!!!!???? With my '03 KDX220 stock I struggled to get a 3rd gear wheelie with 13/48 stock gearing. Once I put on the FMF rev I could get a 3rd gear wheelie probably 80% of the time as long as the rpm's are up. I'm much more impressed with the comfort of this bike than the power. I feel like I'm riding a LazyBoy. It seems like most other modern bikes are very uncomfortable. I'd swear the older bikes were more comfortable, even though the newer ones are definitely faster.

winterhank

Nov 27, 2002
Tom, I run 93 Octane, have the air box lid removed, and added the FMF stuff. I'm 210 lbs which might have something to with my butt weighing down the backend that helps that front end go up. (also the revs are up when I pull them)

To me, the FMF change seems to really open up the top end for me compared to the stock pipe/silencer.

It could be that I'm overly impressed with the performance because I'm old and have not been on a bike for 25 years.

Regards,
Hank

kdxsam

Sep 20, 2002
I've got the Pro Circuit Platinum Pipe on my 2001 KDX200. This is absolutely the best pipe for that bike and fits the best. Top-end is greatly enhanced and with the PC Factory Sound (Race Cap) silencer, it sounds great (but not obnoxiously loud)! GO WITH PC!!!! You'll be glad you did!

GREENHORNET

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2003
hi i've found you do your best wheelies when you have a new rear tire, worn tires tend to slip with all the power. Me on the other hand i have trouble getting the bike up in third, not sure why my 220 dose not run like my old kx 250 i could do wheelies in fift gear without really trying. But that is beside the point.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom