FMF shorty opinions

kzuby

May 14, 2005
I'm looking to throw a shorty on my KX. I already have an FMF golds series gnarly pipe installed. Is it worth the money or should I just stick with the stock silencer? I do alot of trail/woods/open field riding, no track. I also get a decent amount of oil spraying from the stock silencer (just repacked it) I run 32/1 mix. Any suggestions?

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
How's your jetting? Too rich will cause excesive oil spray. The shorty should give a tad bit more low-mid power. A 12oz flywheel weight also makes a huge difference and helps the bike hook up much better in slick conditions. I ran 40:1 yamalube 2R in my KX250 for several years. It burned very clean and both the top end and botom end lasted much longer than would be normally expected. I did every thing from hare scramble races, to sand duens to GP's to MX on that bike. An E-line carbon fiber pipe guard is very good for keeping that pipe in good condition and it also keeps the pipe temptature more consistent and higher which makes it run a little better (pipe tempature affects the sonic waves or something).

enjoy

trevor1188

Jun 17, 2005
i have the same problem with my CR125. i went to a Honda dealership and they told me to mix 34:1 - 40:1 with Honda dirtbike oil. so i recommend buying the shorty pipe (i have one) and the extra low-mid range power will help when going slow in the woods, then just change your mix ratio and everything should be fine

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…