TomDez

Oct 30, 2001
The JustKDX website says that adding an aftermarket silencer adds very little performance improvement to a KDX. Yet it seems that just about everyone on the boards who has added a FMF pipe also adds a silencer. I am putting a Knarly Rev pipe on my 220. Should I also buy a silencer ?? Will a slencer improve power?

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
I think not unless you want it louder and to look more trick. And no. But most people who put a pipe on want to here what they have their money in! :)

Tamean

~SPONSOR~
Jan 27, 2001
One of main reasons for an aftermarket silencer on the KDX, is the weight savings compared to stock. As for sound, I think quieter is much better. Not only is it easier on your own ears, it's also not as obnoxious for others, especially for ones that dislike dirtbikes. Personally, I'd rather feel (power wise) what I have my money in then hear it! As for appearance, aftermarket looks 3 times better.

Just my $.02

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by Braahp
The turbine core adds little power but the power core II adds a noticeable gain.

Have you done a comparison between the Turbine Core II & Power Core II?

How much of a gain did you notice?

I think that most with KDX's who run the fmf pipe are running the TCII. I do not think that the PCII is a Spark Arrestor - for those of us who ride woods.

As for running the pipe with the stock silencer or the aftermarket - there is a huge difference in weight - performance is not too noticable.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
to a point ya.....if your intake is in balance with your exhaust mods i'de have to say yes you'll see some min gains.are those gains worth the cost of the silencer ,no.go with the chamber,jet it right,open up the air box (however you see fit)holes or lid gone and spend the silencer money on reeds and such.jmo

-------------------------------------------------------->
99klx300r
99kdx200
02exc200

if ide put just half the effort in my work as i do ridin and having fun......i'de be rich

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I have to agree with the stock being the quietest. The problem is the look. If you put on a aftermarket chamber, the stock silencer does not do justice. I have a Gnarley and a TC2, I put the stock silencer on after the chamber and EEEEWWWW. UGLY !!! FMF states in their brochure the Power Core Q meets the Forest Service requirements for db's. Also no noticeable gains when switching to the TC2 from stock. JMO....

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
If you want performance and aren't concerned with sound, keep the stock silencer and switch pipes. If you want the sound, switch the pipe and switch the silencer. If you want cheap gains, work the air box and fool with the jetting, look at your riding area and what you want to do, i.e. if you're riding woods or public lands ensure you're going easy on the ears and have the SA installed. If you're looking on riding on tracks and enclosed areas do what you will. Good luck.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Kelvin I did try both. The TC seemed like stocker but the PCII defiantely added something you could feel. Yeah the PowerCore is not a SA but I don't ride enduros but hare scrambles so it wans't an issue. Also I don't ride government lands so its not an issue for me.

TomDez

Oct 30, 2001
Thanks everyone for your input. I'll go with stock silencer for now. Chances are I'll break the stock silencer evetually anyway, then try aftermarket :)

Patrick

Mar 6, 2002
I used an FMF KG30 pipe with the stock silencer on my 2002 KDX220, then changed to a Pro Circuit spark arrestor. The fit-up is not good but can be fixed easily. The difference in performance is noticeable but not earth-shattering (maybe 10%). The noise difference is much greater but only at high rpms where the bike and silencer really wake up. It is relatively quiet at low rpms and still much quieter at full throttle than most "wide open" silencers, and wisper quiet compared to the Harley's that rattle the windows from a mile away. I can still creep past the neighbors on my way to my local riding spot. Best of all, I'm still legal on National Forest lands with respect to noise and fire hazard.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom