FMF "Torque" pipe for 2002 KDX200

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I have done a search on this but I don't want to take all day.

My 2002 KDX200 is bone stock. The jetting is original as are all settings.

I know a Torque pipe and a Tubine core 2 silencer will:
1. Improve low end
2. Improve mid range

Question #1:
Will I lose any top end, stay the same, or will I gain a little?

Question #2:
If I put a Turbine core 2 silencer on my stock pipe, will it improve anything? If so, what improvements to what ranges?

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
With a torque pipe, youn will gain power massively everywhere, and lose nowhere. This is my seat-of-the-pants interperatation, though. As far as the silencer, I believe(this is only what I've heard) performance gains are minimal, but weight savings are substantial.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Thanks Stan_Flemmings,
I'm glad I won't lose any top end. I wonder what I'll get if I use the stock silencer with the new torque pipe. The silencers are pretty pricey.

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
I stuck with the stock silencer. I love it because it's nice and quiet. Like Stan said, everyone seems to agree that performance gains from the silencer are minimal. IMO, it's not worth the $$$ just to lose a couple pounds unless you are doing some serious racing and want to lighten up as much as possible. The pipe still makes a big difference with the stock silencer!!!

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Thanks Tom Ludolff, I am not concerned about weight at all. If I was, I would get rid of the "spare tire" before trying to lighten up the bike.

You've helped me make up my mind. I'll go with the Torque pipe and leave the stock silencer on. I'll ride it for a while and check the plug to see if the stock carb settings are OK.

dmcc

Apr 3, 2002
I put the fmf torque on my 2002 200, and love it! I went with a PC factory sound silencer a little later, just because I found one cheap on ebay, I love the weight savings, but the performance gains were small (definitely there, just small). If you like it really quiet, keep your money, but spend a little time on your jetting.

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
Jackpiner57,

I know this is a little "off topic" from the thread title, but I'm with dmcc - "spend a little time on your jetting". It is incredible how much jetting tweaks can change the personality of this bike!

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
The area I noticed most performance gains with my pipe was top-end. It also greatly increased midrange. I wheelie through the first 3 gears, fourth and fifth if I stand up.

Top Bottom