FMF Trubocore Mod

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
FMF Turbocore Mod

Has anyone tried to modify their FMF Turbocore Silencer for improved performance. I have heard of individuals modifying their stock silencer, with improvements. I also know their is a powercore selencer avaliable, but having just paid about $100.00, I don't think so. If I knew the stock 4 cycle bikes would be so loud and would force state owned and private areas to increase Max decibes to 108 I would have gone with a powercore. I have a 1994 KDX with lots of mods. I also don't want to screw up my silencer, having just bought it. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
Please help. I hate to have to dump more money into a Powercore silencer if I can modify my turbocore silencer. Thanks for the input. :bang:

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
The difference (IMHO) between a powercore and a turbine core will not be very significant.

The Turbine core is a silencer and a spark arrestor. (a little quiter)

The Power core is just a silencer.

The difference between these is the Power core is a straight through exhaust there for could tend to let sparks out the rear of the pipe.

The Turbine core has an extra area towards the end of the pipe the exhaust has to go throught to get out which helps keep sparks from flying directly out of the tail pipe there for being a spark arrestor.

I have heard of some of the guy's on the site drilling out the holes inside of the turbine core when they repack there pipes. they say it changes the sound but I can not remember anybody saying it changes the way the bike performed.

I personally have (2) power cores on my lt 250 suzuki quad racers and I have a turbine core on my 1992 KDX 200 I can not tell the difference. The kdx came with the Turbine core but my quads had stock pipes. When I bought the power core for the quads and installed them I couldn't tell any difference in the power. Where the extra power came from was when I purchased and installed the pipe. Major power gains from the pipe the silencer probably only makes up 5% of the power gained from the pipe/silencer combo if that. Hope this helps this is just my humble opinion.

Jim

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
Thanks for the comments. How often should I repack my silencer with a FMF silencer? I tried to get the silencer end cap off, but it appears stuck. I drilled out the rivets, but it still is stuck. Help.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
The powercore is not loud at all and does offer a slight increase in power over the turbine core.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
take out the spark arrestor, and then cut it down as short as you want. it should then be the same as a powercore, just shorter = better sounding... but isnt mush louder. Mine is about 9 inches long, i believe... Plus the end capand the other end.

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
First off if you drilled out the rivets you have ruined them :bang: The rivets are not really rivets they are backing nuts used to hold the screw threads for the screws. Since there is not enough material on the endcap to provide good and reliable holding power. These backing nuts fit into alarger hole in the cap than is in the body of the silencer. To remove them you remove the screw, use a screw driver and a hammer to tap then in towards the center of the pipe. After that you take the pipe and tap it on somthing in a downward motion until the endcap starts to move. Laws of Physics and object in motion tends to stay in motion. Just a little information "since you obviousley have access to the internet try looking at the web site for the product you have before asking questions here. the people on this site do not like answering questions for people who could do the reasearch themselves. I am not trying to make you feel stupid, just giving you some friendly advice.

Jim

How often should i repack
http://www.fmfracing.com/tech_faqs_detail.asp?id=62

Turbine core instructions
http://www.fmfracing.com/tech_instructions/misc/turbinecore.pdf

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
I forgot to add... any rivets you drill out... just replace with a sheetmetal screw or a self tapping screw

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…