Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I bought one for my son's RM 85.

I had to grind some weld from the inside of the front of the silencer so it would slide over the stinger. :|

Both mounting tabs are about an eighth of an inch off. One is too far forward, the other too far rearward. This situation puts undue strain on the rubber grommets and makes mounting difficult. :|

I had to bend the rear mounting tab and make a spacer for the front tab to move the silencer outward so it would clear the rear tire. :|

It's pouring rain here today so I didn't get to ride the bike, but it sounded quite a bit quieter when I fired it up. :)

I wish it fit better. I was thinking I would buy one for my other RM, but now I'm not so sure. :think:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Had the bike out today. It's not that much quieter under a load. I definately won't be buying another one.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I got one for my '95 KDX and it fits pretty good. Now the noise from out of the silencer is less than what comes out of the engine cases and sides of the pipe. I can't feel any difference in power delivery or amount of overall power either. I'm very satisfied with my purchase. I run it with the FMF Gnarly -35 (woods) pipe.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I think they use the same basic unit for all model bikes, changing only the mounting details. It seems like the core is too large to be very effective on an 85.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
mea culpa

Yesterday, I had the chance to listen to the bike as a spectator, rather than a rider. I have to say that it is, in fact, considerably quieter with the Q. It also has a deeper, throatier, less raspy (less annoying?) sound. The bike does seem to have lost a little bottom end, as someone mentioned in the mini forum.

The rear tire slightly rubs the silencer on near full suspension compression, even after spacing the silencer out what I consider to be a reasonable amount.

If I had it to do again, I think I would modify the stock end cap to divert the exhaust sound towards the ground instead of buying the Q, mainly because of the fitment problems.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The Q made a LOT of difference on on my 250F, FWIW.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
FMF has a reputation for fitment issues. They're still flying off the shelves, so I guess their QC department doesn't care that much. I spoke to an FMF rep about it a while back. His response was that occasionally a jig gets dropped/bumped, and the alignment is off for a while until it gets caught and corrected. How many pipes went out before it was caught? Looks like maybe yours was one...

I just bought a Q for my wife's KX-100, but haven't put it on yet. Maybe I'll get luckey... If not, then it's a complaint letter to FMF. We only get shoddy quality in this industry because we accept it.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I have a '95 KDX200 (as explained above). I also have FMFs rev pipe (-30), torque pipe (-35) ,TC(1) silencer as well as the 'Q' silencer. I must be one of the lucky ones because all of these products from FMF have fit fine.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom