yzmotox28

Jun 28, 2002
hey home cookies, i have a 2002 yz85 and im getting a new pipe for my bike and im wondering what pipe to get between the fmf fatty or pc pipe. Im looking for an all around power pipe.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Why a pipe? Why not porting or suspension or reed block or.....?

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I'll go out on a limb here. I think that most late model bikes already have great pipes on them. The choice to replace the stock pipe with a new one (for me) is only necessitated when the old one gets substantially dinged up and unusable. One thing that aftermarket pipes might be able to do is MOVE the power around (more bottom, top, etc). As to quality of pipes, I have seen 3 different PC pipes with small leaks (evidenced by leaking spooge) around the pipe welds. Nothing major really, just kind of frustrating after paying good money for a pipe.

chillywillyt

Jun 16, 2002
I agree, a good set of aftermarket reed like dual stage would be a noticable change but as for the 2002 bike, I know a kid that was factory sponsored by pro circuit on the 2001 yz80 and he said that when he got his stock yz85 it had way more power everywhere than the mod bike he had the year before. This being said, i say buck the trend of payin big dough for a fancy shinny pipe and just enjoy the bike as it is knowing that it's a great bike

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by FMFHonda161
Get an FMF Fatttty
Care to explain exactly why?

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
I am a 33 old vet rider, and I finally had the suspension done on my YZF250, I got more out of that than any pipe I had ever purchased in my previous years of owning bikes. I feel the suspension will give you more for your money than adding a pipe. It has improved handling, landings, etc on my bike. MX-Tech done mine, but their are several other companies as well.

Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
Pipe don't bother. a friend of mine has a 2001 rm250 and put an sst on and there was no difference noticeable besides it looks trick. If your racing go for speed/power not looks anyone can look good but can they put up good results?.

anton

Jul 23, 2001
Ok, you want some good advice, I'll try my best.
Everything I will mention has been dyno tested and it works. This is no seat of the pants opinion or some magazine rewrite. Firstly, forget DEP for your 85. The stock curve for both torque and hp is exactly the same. Secondly, FMF fatty has a edge. Good increase in mid torque - no great increase in top though. FmF rev - forget. It spools up so quick, no kid feels comfertable. PC - not tessted yet. But, try Doma! Excellent allround increase - you will feel an vast improvement in rideability. Used all over Europe.
Then, trash your reeds and buy a set of V force - large gains in mid and top.
Thats enough for now.
Cheers.

xrsforever

Nov 2, 2000
All the above answers are great. Get a pipe after your suspension has been perfectly dialed in,reeds,porting,polishing,proper tires for your terain, and that your skill level has neccesated a little bit more power. I think most riders forget the easiest way for 2-5 % more power. Race gas like VP.Now on that note I used to be in the camp of louder is faster,but louder is usually just louder,and it is the single biggest blackeye for our sport. I run FMF Q pipes on both my bikes now and swear by them,I am a woods rider and the added torque over stock is VERY NOTICIABLE. We need more manufacturers to step up to the plate like FMF and make a quiet pipe which does improve power. :thumb:

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
I know most bikes come with very good pipes stock, but the addition of an FMF SST pipe and silencer to my friends 2001 cr80 made it a whole lot faster than my 2002. (both bikes are stock mechanically otherwise, and have around the same hours)

His bike has about the same peak power as mine, but it hits much earlier and keeps going. (my opinion after riding both bikes back to back)

I know for most bikes, a new pipe wont make hardly any difference, but IMO some bikes just have stock pipes that arent all that great.

danboi

Jun 28, 2002
My son loves the FMF SST on his YZ85. The low end out of the corners helped a lot and it seems to rev ok with a smooth transition from the bottom. All the rest is stock.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom