ITs the bomb

Dec 23, 2001
I was wondering if anyone has heard of foam filled tires. I do alot of trail riding and hate flat tires is there an alternative to fixing flats. I know in construction you can fill a bobcats tire with foam so that you wont get flats even if you run over a nail (has anyone tried this?) I called a couple of shops and they heard of a product made by "moose" that is basically a tube with lots of foam around it. Anyone have any knowledge about this?
THANKS

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
I asked a similar question recently and got no answers. I do see ads in the back of magazines once in a while for "moose" tubes so check the mags. From what I understand, they are heavy, hard to mount, and wear out quickly. :(

motoman38

May 9, 2000
well seems to me that moose did have a front foam replacement tube awhile back. they only had foam inserts for the front tire. that was a year or so ago they probably have front and rears now. i remember the front's cost around 100.00 :think: for alittle foam. anyways there out there ill keep checking back if anyone finds any i would like one too

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Hmmmm,
A set of irons, an $5.00 tube and a $15.00 CO2 inflator solved that problem for me!

When they reinvent the wheel I'll be first in line. Untill then I'll use my $20.00 fix. Not to mention it's easier to do on the trail!

ITs the bomb

Dec 23, 2001
The guy at the shop gave me a price of $60 for the moose tire but it also needs air. I was wondering about a solid foam w/o the tube (like for bobcats). I know that you could not change the psi to suit the terrain. But its a small price to pay if you ride in basically trash heaps.

old#48

Jun 17, 2002
Take a look at this link for what (for some reason) they call the Michelin Bib Mousse.

That name is scary man, but look if you must. If you put those on though, someone may think, well, you know.

Ok, I went in there again, but only briefly - they do explain what "mousse" means - the very first part of it is OK, but then it kinda starts to get wierd - I had to get out of there - I say you're takin your chances if you go in there.

Last edited:

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Michelin's Bib Mousse has been around for a long time. The word is that they are hard to install. There have been several magazine articles in the last ten years about them and how to install. They work very well, but they don't last forever, so they get expensive if you ride a lot. Like Michelin's website says, if you can't afford a flat get a mousse insert. Wonder if Chad Reed ran them after Troy?

old#48

Jun 17, 2002
In the back of the July '02 Trail Rider mag :

"TECH TUBES - SOLID FOAM TIRE INSERTS"
fronts: $79.95
rears: $99.95
30 SIZES
NO MORE FLATS !
NO AIR NEEDED !
TECH PRODUCTS (973) 686-0012
sorry, they don't show a website, must be in afghanistan or something.

Another one is :

Dunlop Crescent Mousse Inserts, exclusively from :
Race Tire Service 1-800-772-TIRE (8473)
www.dunlopracing.com

That's all I see, looked in Dirt Rider too, If I run across any more, I'll tell ya.

Last edited:

bushpilot

Dec 29, 1999
Most of the International Six Day Enduro (ISDE) riders use foam tubes. Most have a system for changing tires that involves a half dozen vise grips, a big hammer, a 4 foot tire tool and a gallon of gear grease. The tubes are very expensive, a bitch to install and give a dead feel that is hard to describe. Unless not having flats is of supreme importance, I would stick to Moose thick tubes, rim locks and plenty of air.

Wayne

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom