For Me, the DARK side still prevails.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Over this past weekend, we were able to get our first ride in for the year. A friend let us go to his local farm , and we made about a 1-1.5 mile loop with all type of terrain. It was a blast to say the least, and a good ride to get reaquainted with arm pump!!!
But anyhow, I had my '01 YZ250f there, which I was lending out this year, as opposed to last, for some test runs. And I would take spins as well, so it was kinda like our own Bike Shootout. Besides my bike, we had a 2002 CR250, 2002 YZ250F, 99 KTM 200, 97 KX125, 96KDX200, 95 RM125, and a 4wheeler....
I had a hard time getting people off of my bike and I was impressed with the KTM, it always wanted the front tire off of the ground, but the ergos took me some time, it felt as though the shifter was under the motor, hard to find with the boot.
the CR was super in stability, and the brakes were awesome, but after a couple laps, along with the other 2 strokes, I just feel alien on them. It just seems to me like it is much more work riding them, with keeping up on the revs or shifting. I am not bashing them for they are excellent machines, whatever suits the rider. Maybe I am just used to the YZF, but it just hooks up all the time!! that was the same thing I heard from other getting off, besides them stating they have to get one now....
... the down side
I have no problem starting my bike, but the 2002 YZF that came was litterly 1-2 hours old, straight from the dealer, it took him a 1/2 hour to start, I know he had the fuel petcock on , so maybe bouncing in the trailer flooded while it was open, but the new owner was happy once started. It reminded me of when I got mine, flooded it, kicked for 1/2 hour, while the old man was like "great machine for $6k!"
Till next ride.
:D

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I just had a similar experience last weekend at a local MX track but am leaning the other way. Present were my modded KLX300 (I mostly trail ride and hare scramle), a '00 YZ250f, '98 WR400f (with YZF tank/seat), '01 KTM 250 E/XC, '00 KX125 (bored and ported), '01 KX125, '01 CR125.

My KLX wouldn't start, even after towing, and I thought sure it was due to dirt in carb since I'd just torn it apart the day before for jetting. Nobody had a plug socket that would fit (shame on me) but that's never the problem on a thumper anyway. Wrong -- this time it was. I'd put a nice, new, DEFECTIVE plug in before heading out and of course the bike wouldn't fire! Figured that out when I got home.

What this meant was I got to ride all of these bikes (except the CR, but I'd already ridden 125s). The KTM 250 was a very nice ride but more bike than I needed. It just wouldn't stall and felt nice. I really had a lot of fun on the modd'ed KX125 but wanted something with more displacement, since once the revs fell, they took a long time to build again (I have gotten lazy with my clutch work after being on a thumper). I'm thinking of getting a KTM 200E/XC for this reason -- to get the bigger motor in the 125 frame (why Kawi doesn't offer a KDX motor in their KX125 frame is beyond me). In addition to fanning the clutch, the bigger surprise was when I chopped the throttle and the bike just kept going! I have REALLY gotten used to engine braking, though this can be bad on an MX track.

Then again, everyone who rode the YZ250f wanted one. It was the same as you said. The 2s are definitely more work -- both clutching and braking. The 125 guys noted the added weight but said it had an awesome suspension and felt more stable so it was okay (note they had KX125s). Each time one of these guys rode it they led the pack on the MX track! The biggest downside to this bike to me is you have to ride it like a 125, at which point it seems to me you may as well just buy a 125 -- and be quieter!! This thing was easily the loudest bike on the track that day with it's Pro Circuit T4 pipe.

I agree the suspension is awesome, but so are the YZ125 and YZ250. And all of these are just great looking bikes. On paper the WR250F looked perfect for me. Yet if I get another thumper it would be a KTM 400 E/XC -- nice suspension and e-start, with lower seat height. But then I'm not an MXer, which really is the target market of the YZF. If I bought a WR250F and modded it (pipe, chain, bars, rims, etc) I'd have nearly as much in it as a KTM 400 and still not have the e-start or hydraulic clutch.

Then again, the KTM 400 E/XC is 236 lb dry, while the 200 E/XC is 213 lb dry. There will always be this weight diff due to the added complexity of a 4s engine. The nice thing about your 250f is Yamaha did a good job targeting their audience -- MX racers on 125s. Honda has done a similar thing with the CRF450, targeting the 250 MXers. The great news is we have some awesome choices out there now -- we need to enjoy them while we have them!

Top Bottom