ComradeJake

Nov 9, 2008
Hey there, I am looking to purchase my first dirt bike. I have some experience on quads, and none on dirt bikes.

About me (using the format in the sticky):

5'10", about 130 pounds (pretty scrawny)

I work out almost every day, I am in pretty good shape I'd say. So I'd be a pretty aggressive/physical rider.

I plan to ride freestyle, I live in the woods, so trails, fields, natural jumps, some freestyle courses, and sand dunes, which are a couple hours away from here. I might get into racing later, but just that for now.

Riding experience is very limited, I've ridden quads a little, never a dirt bike

Probably will not race.

I don't know a lot about mechanics, but I will probably learn so I can work on my own bike, but there are a lot of dirt bike places around here, so if I can't, I am not in trouble.

2 stroke or 4 stroke are both fine with me.

I have a lot of dealers near by, they carry all the big brands (Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, etc.)

I would like to spend less than $1,600 on the bike. $2,000 max.

I live in California.

I am 17.

I would like to get a used bike to cut down on price, but I would consider a new one also.

Thanks for your help.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
2 stroke 125 is probably the only thing you're going to be able to get for under $1600.

Pick a color, and one that isn't ragged out.

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
lol, when i looked to buy my 125 2 stroke a few week ago.
i could find ALOT of cheap 250 around here, and i found only 1 125 in my price range :S.

For the bike
If your not gonna ride everyday, making the mecanic yourself isnt a problem and if you plan on racing later i would get a 2 stroke mx bike. For the size of the bike i go with a 125 2 stroke.
Or if your gonna get 4 stroke i go with a 250. See what you feel comfortable on the most.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
You live in California so you need to know about Red/Green stickers. Here is a website:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/ohvredgreen.htm

To get into your price range you are going to need to buy used. I recommend buying a 2002 or older bike so that it will be "Green sticker" eligible. If you buy a newer 2-stroke, or even many 4-stroke MX bikes, they get "Red" stickers and your riding season is restricted.

To have any sticker at all the bike needs to be registered in California. With the exception of private MX tracks it is legally required for your bike to be registered. Many people cheat this law and there are many places you can ride and get away without having proper registration, but it is always a gamble. Many places, however, enforce the registration rules and you simply won't ride there without the bike being properly registered.

If you plan on riding the USFS OHV areas (or any of the OHV "parks" then you really need to have a spark arrestor. Many silencers are, but there are also a lot that are not. If it is a spark arrestor it will say on it, usually stamped in the metal. You can always change the silencer for a spark arrestor model, which will set you back $150 or so. You can also add a spark arrestor that clamps on the back of your existing silencer for about $80.

Keep in mind that bikes come in two basic models: "Off road" and "MX".
Off road bikes are generally smaller frame size. They have "de-tuned" engines which will last forever but are lacking in performance. Their suspension travel is a lot less than the MX bikes. They are considerably heavier. They are less expensive, however. An example of an off road model is the Yamaha TT230.

A "MX" bike is built for racing and leaves out the frills, such as headlight and kickstand. The engines are high performance, often requiring premium grade of gas. The high performance engines need frequent top end rebuilds.

If you have any plans on going to a MX track and hitting the jumps, you need a MX bike. A MX bike on the trails does a lot better than a trail bike on the MX track.

So, bottom line:

To get into your price range I recommend a two stroke. For your size and weight a 125cc would do fine, but eventually you will want a 250. I suggest starting off on a 125, something like a Yamaha YZ-125. Plan on keeping it a couple of years and then move up to a 250 two stroke or a 450 four stroke.

When comparing prices consider the overall condition of the bike, especially the tires. A new set of tires can set you back $150 to $175. A top end rebuild will cost you around $200. Having proper registration and "title in hand" is worth some $$$ as well. It is possible to register an older bike that had never been registered in California but it is a real pain, requires at least two trips to DMV and one to the CHP (with the bike). Factor all these costs into the purchase price when comparing bikes.

Make sure you allow enough budget to buy all the support gear you will need.

Do NOT ride without a helmet, goggles and boots.
I highly recommend a chest protector and gloves.
When you get tired of nursing your bruised and battered body you will invest in knee pads, padded shorts, elbow pads, etc.
To look stylish you will want a nice jersey and riding pants.

If you don't have any gear then ask the seller if he has any riding gear he can throw in. Most people I know who have had bikes for a while have a stash of old gear that is just collecting dust. I recommend new goggles, but a scratched up helmet can still have a lot of service left in it and an old chest protector may not be stylish but it will still protect you from the spray of rocks the bike in front of you throws up.

Do you have a way of hauling your bike around?

Rod

digifox

May 25, 2006
hmm. . .just a little taller then me. .

if you want to spend under 1.6k an older will do fine, just know what your looking for and find good deals. . .

lol anyway a 250 might be a bit tall for you, but defiantly not doing to disappoint you. . lol. . .

Something like a older YZ 125/250 or KDX 200?
Air cooled bikes a little less pron to. . .uh problems. . .but if your desert riding in 100+ you need a water cooled. .

Trail riding in cool 70 even up to 90`s air cooled is good. . lol

Not going to even suggest that you look at this but:
i have a 1981 Yamaha IT175, its a mid-size bike (bigger then a 125 smaller then a 250)
but packs a big punch in the small engine.
the only reason i dont suggest you look at one is Parts are pretty hard to come by.
not many parts interchange(yamaha used a weird configuration).

The bike selection is up to you. go to a dealer and sit on some of their bikes, All brands arent the same size where as one 250 might be 35" another brand might only be 33". . .lol sorry sometimes i get ADHD and space off into something totally different. . .

EDIT:
As up said about Extra costs like gear.

you ALWAYS need to ride with a helmet.
Goggles are, uh not needed if you like bugs and mud in your eyes.
Boots. . .hmmm nope only wear boots on the street. . .i always just wear old shoes yo go ride in. . .*chucks are really nice.lol*
Gloves if you dont have hand guards you should wear some gloves. . . .thorns in your fingers are not fun.(or anywhere for that matter)

Just make sure you always wear:
Helmet,long pants and some shoe that will support your angle a little bit(high tops. lol) and uh. . .yeah. . . .

I know you wont want to wear all that Ghay gear.
but. the helmet is ALWAYS a must no matter what! ! !
(you can heal a broken arm or leg. .but a fractured skull. . .not going to be fun)

Last edited:

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
digifox said:
The bike selection is up to you. go to a dealer and sit on some of their bikes, All brands arent the same size where as one 250 might be 35" another brand might only be 33[QUOTE/] yea... my KX100 is 34.5'... and a usual 250 or 125 is almost always 38'

ComradeJake

Nov 9, 2008
Alright, thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely buy safety gear, the 1.6k budget is only for the bike.

Thanks for the red/green sticker info, and yes, I do have a way to haul it around.

Top Bottom