Fork Leak?

I'm not sure if I have an actual fork leak or not. I bought a 91 cr125 with race tech suspension on it a couple of days ago. I was cleaning it and it started to rain outside so I took it into the shed to continue cleaning in there. When I was done I noticed a little bit of a greenish colored oil on my left fork. I wiped it off with a rag and came back 20 minutes later and there was a tiny amount there again. So I wiped that off and came back about 2 hours later and there was nothing. I haven't taken my bike for a ride yet, and I know the bike doesn't have more than 15 minute on it this year. Will this problem go away when I ride the bike or will it get worse?

------------------
Doubt from others is fuel for my determination!

zsr

I would whip the forks off and have a look at the condition of the oil. It would be wise to check the level in the forks anyway as you've not been out on the bike before. Don't worry if the seals are gone, it's suprisingly easy to change them

------------------
98 CR125 01 CR250 99YZF R1

Thanks to: Motorex / D.I.D. / Vesrah / YES Helmets

The guy said the oil was changed late last year, and had hardly been used much after.

I checked again and it leaked some more.

Exactly how easy are they to change? How much do shops charge?

------------------

I was looking through some of my old MXA's and found 2 articles dealing with forks. One was removing the dust cover and cleaning underneath to get rid of any dirt. Does this usually work or not?

The second one was about changing the seals and it didn't look all that easy to me, but there are probably some guys that I could get to do it for cheap if I need them changed.

------------------

zsr

You could try sliding a strip of film neg around the seal, many people on the forum claim great success doing this.

I've paid anything up to $40 for a seal to be changed, but recently bought a motion pro seal driver and had a go myself. It's REALLY easy.

------------------

I tried the contact cleaner method like MXA said to do, and it is leaking a little less now. They also suggested the electrical tape wrapped around the fork with the sticky side facing out to get dirt out. I think I will try that next.

Are seal drivers expensive?

------------------

zsr

Got mine (motion pro)in UK for £25 ($35).

Great bit of kit, can't wait for the next one to go so i can save more money !!

:)

------------------

Does anyone know approximately how much a shop will charge to change a seal?

------------------

SPD

Lifetime Sponsor
Around 75.00 + the cost of the seal.Take forks off and clean them and use some old film and brake cleaner first. Then if that doesn't work take them in.

------------------
Dennis
99 Husky WR250
I refuse to grow up

zsr

$75 ?????? :(

Do you have another shop near you?

Buy the driver - it's what Monday evenings are for. :)

------------------

My dad talked to the closest Honda dealer and they said it would be $80(canadian) if I take the shock off and bring it in to them.

If I just take the bike in they will change the seal and set the suspension for my weight.

The seal drivers I've found so far cost almost $100 after tax. It would be easier to let them do it.

------------------

Dude - film negatives work! I had a leaky seal, I looked here for some answers, and found them. Take a film negative and slide it between the seal and tube. I think what it does is clear any dirt that is ever so slightly caught and pushing out the seal just enough to let oil seep out. I did this and compressed them a few times, all the oil worked it's way out and now doesn't leak at all. I rode hard last weekend too. Be sure to check the oil level after doing this. Good luck.....

------------------
96 XR400, nicely modified

I saw some tool for checking oil level, is it needed or is it just one of those things that is nice to have.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bman (edited 04-20-2001).]

zsr - Could you explain briefly how to change the fork seals myself if I got a seal driver so I can decide whether it would be worth doing. Could you also tell me how I can check the oil level and top it up on your CR125. What was the name of the shop you got the driver from?

My seals were leaking to the point where there was a small pool of oil on our trailer, I popped out the wipers and used film negative on the seals. Neither of the seals leak now. Of course this will only work if your seals are reasonably new and it is only dirt making them leak, not old age.

Thanks,

------------------
No.234 '96 CR125