KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
ok,w ell, i have a 2003 KDX 200, and i just put in some FRP .42 fork springs with new 5W fork oil. I noticed a little oil above the dust seal on my forks because I dont use those black covers. (1996 rm125/25 # PLATE) I believe the oil is from when I was pumping the new oil into the forks. you knwo when you pump them up to get the oil in the forks, because if you pull them ALL THE WAY UP, there is a littl ehole in the inner fork on the inside. I think the oil came from there from me putting the new oil in and pumping the forks. should I have anythign to worry about? thanks in advance!

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
I just found out it is only comming from the right fork. it seeps through when the suspension is worked. how can my seals be gone so fast... there just a year old. any other suggestions of what could be wrong?

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
freestyle my fork seals leak a little when i dont ride for awhile. but after a couple good rides they stop. mine are 14 years old havent changed the seals yet. just the oil.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
whew... that give me a lot to not worry about... because when I flex my fork a couple of times (uits only the right one that does it) a littl ebit of oil will pool on the seal. THANK YOU! whew... i can ride now.

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
New seals should not leak at all. Chances are some dirt got in during reassembly, or there's something wrong with the seal. Both my "factory" seals came apart (shreadded) within one year, but new aftermarket ones worked great. None leaked "just a little". Hope this helps.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
eeeek!! I never put in new seals! my fork is still leaking, and it looks lie,k I have to rip them, apart again. how do I change the seals, and how much do you think it will cost me?

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
KDXFreestyle...... Taking the forks apart is easy (use the shop manual), but you do need a few special tools. I made all but the allen wrench for the bottom without too much trouble. If you're lucky, maybe someone you know already has them. New seals should be around $20.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
sry 89 KDX... my dad wont let me. And you dont need A fork spring holder, you can just push down the springs. ... I need to get this done before octpber 18th... thats the next motocross race! :-)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: '..because I dont use those black covers.'

You answered your own question.

Those black covers aren't there because they're cute.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
I have plastic fork guards... the RM 12 # plate for reg. forks. KX's and bikes like that dont have the rubber thingys. the just have a piece of plastic. mabey I should get some seal savers... lol

Top Bottom