jam

Oct 14, 2000
With the yearly changing of the fork oil is their a set amount to put back in the fork, or you must pull the spring and fill up to the 100m mark???? 2000 KDX 200 :silly:

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I am not sure about conventionals but you pull the spring to measure the oil level in an inverted fork.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I think the manual says somehting like 1.2 liters for both fork legs, but I ended up putting in about 1.5L to get it to 100mm.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
4" = 101mm. Close enough. I changed my fork oil twice this year after a year of neglecting them. Once a year is fine though. I pull my springs out to get my homemade fork oil level guage to work. The only way to measure your fork oil is to pull the springs and compress the forks fully. Or you could chance it and just pour in the amount specified in the manual.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
You could just meassure the amount you remove from each fork and put back the same amount. Myself, I like to remove the fork from the clamps, remove the spring and tip them upside down in a bucket to drain. Then put in the desired amount of new fluid. Don't forget to cycle the pull rod a few times to assure that the valves are flooded with the new fluid.
Lew

jam

Oct 14, 2000
Thanks, It look's like pulling the spring to be sure of the oil level. I would hate to blow a seal or damage the fork.... thanks again....

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The point of measuring the level is you never know exactly how much you got out...how much is left in there.

With the 'measure what you took out' method, you'd be dealing with how many fluid transfers, scraper tools, splattering, drips, etc?

If you use the level measurement method, it's never an issue.

AND both forks are always the same.

Otherwise? Who knows?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom