marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I noticed last time i unbolted my forks, they were not level(i must have installed them wrong as one was 4 mm through more than the other)i was thinking it weird i didnt notice, then i realised its actually like adding preload with no need to remove the legs, if one leg was flush and the other std(8mm on a rmz) you have equivalent to 4mm of extra preload?this is a cool way of testing preload effects in minutes. :nod:

any thoughts?

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Are you talking about changing the amount of damper rod that goes into the fork cap??

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
viking20 said:
I think Marcus is talking about one fork leg being higher than the other through the clamps ?

I think you are right :coocoo: :)

Since you can only pre-load 1 leg at a time that way. For a quick ride height test it would be OK, I wouldn't want to hammer out on the track with 1 fork leg 8 mm different than the other.

Miedosoracing

Feb 22, 2005
If you are only using 1 fork at a time to test preload, you are not using both springs as a testing bed. I would think this would be inacurate for setting preload, but I could be wrong, often am.:-) Also, it can affect the way you corner I thought as well???

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Well if one leg is 8mm through(and the other flush) you get a 4mm effective change in preload, this is a reasonable change and would be only for testing purposes.Im guessing you wont feel a difference in terms of cornering as both legs are tied together -so it doesnt act different-just more preloaded.
I dont really see how it would have any adverse effect, lets not forget mazzo put all the damping one side and rebound on the other, and they dont twist in the clamps or anything.

its a crazy thing to consider but i cant see why it wont work as a testing tool?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I would try it. But then, I'm almost as :coocoo: as you are.

:nod:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
marcusgunby said:
Well if one leg is 8mm through(and the other flush) you get a 4mm effective change in preload
I think you would get a 4mm effective change in fork height, but the additional preload imposed on one fork would be offset by unloading the other.

You would get 8mm shorter overall suspension travel, though.

Obviously, I know nothing about suspension, so please be gentle when you correct me!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom