Fork preload Q.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
yz250 2001

last time i measured them, my springs were 457mm, the stock is 460mm. I have had some 2.5mm spacers made up and i am wondering wether to go with 5mm or just 2.5 mm preload. The rate of the springs are 0.45mm.kg and i am weighing 220lbs these days so i am leaning to go with the 5mm preload, my theory is that i can get a plusher feel by reducing compression damping but the preloaded spring will make the front ride a bit higher and resist diving at the face of whoops and when hitting jump take offs.

what you experts think?

thanks, BC

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Bruce jers spring rate generator says you need
0.46 and 5.1 springs
so your not far out-5mm spacer will be spot on IMO.
Have you got a std rear spring and if so what are your sag numbers?

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
its funny you mention the rate generator. I dont know if you remember, we went through this before.

the codes on the front springs say 0.45mmkg, so we are good to go there with the spacers to take up the slack.

on the shock spring rates, everything is out of whack! the generator says 5.1, however, the code on the spring suggests it is a 5.6mm!

either way, the race and free sags add up well.

i also found this interesting thread on 00 yz spring rates from shock doc

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=5400&highlight=spring+rates

thanks

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Bruce i had completely forgot-not unusual for me nowdays.I suspect of your numbers are good, it likely is a 5.6.Not sure how you will like my bike when you get to ride it-i use 0.42 and 4.3s.It will be like a harley:)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…