Fork revalve question

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
Ok, I've read the threads and posts about removing some of the shims to help the fork action out, but I have a question. I pulled my forks apart and found two sets of valves. One is what I will call the base valve, which is the outer adjustable valve that sits at the bottom base of the fork. The other is located on the rod assembly, directly above the base valve.

So, which one do you alter? They both are valves and have shim stacks. So which one controls what?

TIA

grump99

Aug 7, 2003
The bottom, externally adjustable valve was the one that I modified. Works pretty well in my opinion. Didn't know there was another shim stack in there. Good luck.

Bailey28

May 1, 2005
The base valve is the one that you pull the first 2 shims out of. The shims on the damper rod are for rebound I believe. I weigh 180lbs and pulled two shims out, used xr .43kg/mm springs with 20mm preload, 7.5wt oil 120mm from the top, clickers 16 out. I can soak up the square edge stuff great, and even do some light mx with the bike. If I get more that 5 feet of air and don't slope the landing it will bottom, but not that hard.

Let me clarify, the XR springs were aftermarket replacements from Eibach that measured 512mm brand new 996 series IIRC.

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
Yes the lower one is the one to remove the 2 shims from. I also read somewhere (havent tried this yet) that the rebound is too fast on the kdx forks and that the removed shims would fit the rebound stack.

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
matt-itude said:
Yes the lower one is the one to remove the 2 shims from. I also read somewhere (havent tried this yet) that the rebound is too fast on the kdx forks and that the removed shims would fit the rebound stack.

Hmm, that's an interesting concept. :aj:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…