mike-evans

Sep 16, 2009
Going to tackle my fork seals this week on my YZ250 when they arrive. Anyone have any tips for doing this, do I need the tool to measure the oil? How do I get around it without the tool?

I'm 12.5 stone, will 5wt oil be ok?

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Give your fork's internals a good cleaning... don't want packed-in dirt to waste your new seals.

We run the shorty Seal Savers around here and change fork oil every 50 hours... haven't had a seal leak in YEARS. Glad for the Seal Saver idea because IMO, changing seals ranks right up there with cleaning air filters or repacking mufflers. :bang:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Good luck with no shop manual! Forks are not like that, anymore. On a change, they use a timed method of draining, then put XX amount of oil back in. On a seal change, just put the required amount back in and run. Make sure to tape the sharp edges on installation. Replace the wiper also, if sold separately. I did not need any special tools to take a set of showa forks apart and back together. A good time to have the shock serviced also?

mike-evans

Sep 16, 2009
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Good luck with no shop manual! Forks are not like that, anymore. On a change, they use a timed method of draining, then put XX amount of oil back in. On a seal change, just put the required amount back in and run. Make sure to tape the sharp edges on installation. Replace the wiper also, if sold separately. I did not need any special tools to take a set of showa forks apart and back together. A good time to have the shock serviced also?

I have got a shop manual!

Its always easier with a brief explanation off someone who's done it before..

I've bought dust seals and the oil seals, also I'm aware of protecting the seals (using plastic sheeting etc) when fitting them...

mike-evans

Sep 16, 2009
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Except for the nitrogen. And on the forks, I was glad I changed the oil in the chambers also, it was nasty!
Yes I'm putting brand new oil in, not sure what's in the YZ forks from stock, is it 5 weight?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
And they are twin chambered? What model year? I do not believe there is THAT much difference between the 2 manufactures. Honda did seem to have a strangle hold on Showa, at 1 time? Same model year, their 125 has Kayaba, go figure?

mike-evans

Sep 16, 2009
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
And they are twin chambered? What model year? I do not believe there is THAT much difference between the 2 manufactures. Honda did seem to have a strangle hold on Showa, at 1 time? Same model year, their 125 has Kayaba, go figure?

it's a 2t YZ 250 2001

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
I paid $125 to have my seals replaced on KYB forks (01 RM250) and three rides later the left one is leaking go figure.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
mike-evans said:
Yes I'm putting brand new oil in, not sure what's in the YZ forks from stock, is it 5 weight?
you have the service manual right? i believe even the owner manual have the correct oil to use, at least the stock one. give it a look :cool:

Nov 8, 2010
i thing to look at when you pull them down is the bushings last set of forks i did i replaced bushings made **** loads of difference.

remeber to bleed the damper seperatly basically u just gotta over fill the damper slightly drain the exsess reasemble and pour in the set mills of oil or measure your depth so long as the damper is properly bleed and filled the outer leg oil wont mater so much

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
On the showa forks, there are 3 screws that hold on the fork guard, at the bottom axle lug. Over tighten or use screws from the disc guard, a little longer, it caves in the very bottom of the fork tube that screws into the lug. The spring hangs up on it, and makes the forks feel ruff. Them tubes are not cheep! And just like the pinch bolts, it does not take very much more torque, to really cause some damage. If you clean the holes out, with a light you can determine if they are damaged. Normally you should be looking at the same basic size as the fork tube, and a very fine thread. Damage starts when the screw gouges the thread, then will appear as a dimple at its worst. The bushings are an inspection service, if it shows a wear pattern, replace them quick!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom