Fork seal replacements

goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
I am going to attempt to change my fork oil and replace the fork seals. The shop manual calls for a few special tools like a spring holder, fork cylinder holder, and a front fork oil seal driver. I have been told that the only tool I realy need for this job is the cylinder holder. Has anyone changed their fork seals without these tools and if so what tools did you use instead? I did by the way order the cylinder holder. Any other pointers you might have for this job would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
jgino,
the post you refered to still does not answer my question. Do I need a fork seal driver or can I make one etc?

KDX Fill

Jan 24, 2002
I replaced my seal without any of the special tools. The only tool that would have been helpful is the seal driver, but I made do without. I used the old seal to drive the new seal in. Lets just say a wooden clamp and a rubber mallet was involved. I tested out the new seal by riding a grueling 112 mile desert race that was nothing but rocks and whoops. Still no leaks.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…