Tyler125

Feb 3, 2008
How difficult is it to change the fork seals? My right one is leaking so I need to get some new ones. They are going on a 1993 CR125.

Also, to stiffen a shock do I need to lower it or raise it? Im a bigger guy and my rear shock depresses alot and I have it raised up quite a bit.

gaz1985

Jan 26, 2008
if you get a manual you can change them very easily it might look hard but there quite easy have a go

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
First try popping the dust seals off, spray any excess dirt away on the oil seal with brake clean (make sure its rubber friendly) and then get a film negative. With the film negative twist it up under the oil seal lip and twist it around and pull it out. More often than not theres a bit of dirt up there holding the seal open. It's mostly a bandaid fix because really the only way dirt gets up there is from worn out dust seals but its easier than to change them and they stop leaking until you go for a muddy ride and the mud packs up on the fork legs.

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
Unless you have a race starting in ten minutes, I would not do what kx just recommended. Do a search for the thread, and fix it right, seals are roughly 40 dollars for all four and then fork oil. Its not that expensive to do right.

Tyler125

Feb 3, 2008
Im good on getting the seals and am gonna order a manual but until I get the manual I need to know what fork oil to put in it. What weight and how much will I need? Im probably just gonna go with Bel-Ray oil. Thanks for the help guys.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Tyler125 said:
Also, to stiffen a shock do I need to lower it or raise it? Im a bigger guy and my rear shock depresses alot and I have it raised up quite a bit.
What do you mean by raising it up alot? If you mean the collar at the top of the spring all you have done is softened it up. To support a heavier rider you need to replace the spring with a heavier/stiffer one. The collar is mainly so you set the sag for a rider with in a specific weight range to the spring

Tyler125

Feb 3, 2008
oldguy said:
What do you mean by raising it up alot? If you mean the collar at the top of the spring all you have done is softened it up. To support a heavier rider you need to replace the spring with a heavier/stiffer one. The collar is mainly so you set the sag for a rider with in a specific weight range to the spring
I raised the collar at the top, I was hoping it would raise it up some. So I need to lower the collar to stiffen it up then? I weigh 200lbs so the spring 'should' be good enough.

Tyler125

Feb 3, 2008
Ok then, I thought the bike compressed a bit much when I have been riding it. Im slowing building this bike up piece by piece. Can you answer my last question too IndyMX, about how much fork oil Im gonna need and what weight?

Top Bottom