yo its matt!

Aug 26, 2000
well after years of riding bikes with stock forks and spending all my money on tires i finally revalved my forks on the 99 cr250 i bought recently, due partly because i always wanted to and partly because these were so harsh it rode terrible in the woods,
i bought a valve kit , not because the great reviews of these valves but because i really needed a good starting point, and i hoped the video would show the inner workings better than they did! live and learn ! but it did teach me enough to complete the revalve and after i filled both inner and outer chamber with mobil 1 atf, set the clickers to the middle and went for a ride, vast improvement spike in rocks and roots gone!
now for my 2 questions:
1: although its much better, im afraid im hooked and need to see if i can make it even better than it is...do most of you guys switch fluid and try to improve the action or keep modifiying the valving using 1 constant fluid viscosity and just switch fluid as a last resort?
and 2: i know you can gauge your rear spring to your weight by setting your race sag, then checking your free sag, if i remember right too much free sag and your spring is too stiff and not enough and it is too weak, is there a way to do this with the forks? although these forks were supposed to have been built , it didn't look like it miss-matched fluid from 1 leg to the other, etc. etc. however it is possible the springs were changed and although they felt too stiff before the revalve they are much better now and not knowing what rate springs are in it without some type of measurement it would be hard to decide what direction to go?

Top Bottom