killeronadkx

Dec 20, 2003
I am picking up my KDX220 "04" model this Friday. I saw on this site somewhere a post or some info on fork settings for my new bike.... I cant find it again anywhere.... I have spent 3 hours looking for this info with no results.... I was wondering if someone could " hook a brother up" with this much needed info....
Thanks in advance
Randy

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Randy,

In all honesty - these forks are undersprung for the bike. There is not alot you can do with them in stock form.

You can spend quite a few bucks on them by a suspension shop and get great results - or do what alot of folks have done and upgrade the springs.

i personally went with the XR400 springs. Total cost was less than $100. Freddette offers many choices in springs too - I personally liked the hot wound XR springs.

New springs and you will probbaly have what you are looking for unless you are an A or up rider.

Sean

killeronadkx

Dec 20, 2003
Thanks for the advice. I will order some XR400 forks today. I went to the tech tip area and got a dreaded 404 error...... I will try later.... Thank you so much......
Randy

Larry K.

Oct 7, 2003
Originally posted by moridin
Randy,

In all honesty - these forks are undersprung for the bike. There is not alot you can do with them in stock form.

You can spend quite a few bucks on them by a suspension shop and get great results - or do what alot of folks have done and upgrade the springs.

i personally went with the XR400 springs. Total cost was less than $100. Freddette offers many choices in springs too - I personally liked the hot wound XR springs.

New springs and you will probbaly have what you are looking for unless you are an A or up rider.

Sean

Larry K.

Oct 7, 2003
Sean

I am new to this forum and scewed up with the Quote deal. I want to get the XR 400 fork springs but after all the searching cannot find the specific information I need. I have a 98 KDX 200 FMF Gnarly pipe, FMF turbin core muffler, no suspension modifications, I weigh 200lbs fully dressed out and ride mostly hare scrambels some enduro, Good B rider. What size (if any) do I get? I want to make the suspension as good as it gets. What bike do you have? What type riding do you do? How good of rider are you? What is your dressed out weight? This should give me a good idea of what I need, to make an informed decision.

Thanks Larry

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Consider this a WAG, cuz noone can tell you what YOU want/need, but the .40 springs would probably be fine.

I'm closer to 210/215 with gear (I wear a LOT of stuff..around 180 tare), and I found the .40s to be perfect.

They don't need a ton of preload. Example (again...just because it works for me doesn't mean it will suit you), I changed my preload recently from 8 to 3mm and found the forks to be much improved. 110mm oil level. Valved by mx-tech.

From CDave (3-3-03):

It’s the 1996-99 0.38kg/mm XR400 springs that are interchangeable and commonly used in 1995 to 2003 KDX200/220s.

From racetech:
'96-99 xr400r 43mm showa .38
'00-02 xr400r 43mm showa .40

'H' model kawi spec:
'00 200 kdx 43mm kyb .35

SET THE SHOCK SAG!!!

Start at 100mm (another imo), change to suit.

**edit**
BTW, I know you asked about forks, but they kinda work WITH the shock, 'eh?

Here's a quick shock setting summation:

Basically, compression needs to be SOFT enough (clicks out) to absorb impacts without jacking your arse, HARD enough (clicks in) to take as large an impact as you're going to give it. Rebound needs to be FAST enough (clicks out) to be ready for the next impact (not 'pack'), SLOW enough (clicks in) to keep the wheel on the ground during the rebound process.

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
From the above noted link (if you can't get there)

Front Suspension

1995-2003

Stock forks are set up for 130-pound rider. For riders between 140 and 190 pounds switch to 21 pound spring, for riders over 200 pounds, use the 23-pound springs. Set the oil level at 100 mm and compression adjuster between 10 and 18 clicks out. The Race Tech Gold Valve kits works well with Fredette shim placement specs.

Rear Suspension

1994-2003

The stock spring and valving work well for riders 170-200 pounds. If you are lighter or heavier than that you would benefit from a different spring. Lighter riders should use a 4.8-Kg spring and heavier riders should use a 5.2-Kg spring. Set compression 8 clicks out for fast terrain and 16 clicks out for slow terrain. Set the rebound adjuster in the same way more damping at higher speeds.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom