canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
While I've read:
'Springs are manufactured by hot or cold-working processes, depending upon the size of the material, the spring index, and the properties desired.'

I'd appreciate some comments as to how these two processes apply to bike fork springs. To which method do the 'desired properties' of bike springs best fit?

I've understood 'hotwound' to be preferable to 'coldwound'. Is that generally correct?

Thanks.

**edit
Did several searches. Found nada.

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I have done a number of searches (including differences like 'cold wound' and 'coldwound' and such).

I did see some teasers from mr. wilkey indicating some future input, but didn't find any factual dissection of the issue.

For one thing, I've read some of semantic issues where 'hot wound' was rendered to mean application of heat after the actual extraction of the spring to relieve subsequent stresses in the metal after forming. That would seem more like tempering to me as opposed to 'hot wound'.

I don't know. That's why I asked.

Cheers!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
This is what jer posted
The real issue comes down to how the spring was made. Was the spring cold or hot wound? The hot winding process makes for a spring that is much more durable as the metulargy can be reset after the coil is wound. A hot wound spring is able to be stressesd higher and can take more cycles before it weekens. Another thing to think about is the wear. If the Od of your spring decreases due to wear then your rate is much softer. Wire diamter is the single bigest variable in spring formula..

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Part of the problem (my problem) is I considered 3-letter-word searches to be 'illegal'. I recalled them to be in past attempts anyway.

I just tried one that worked (a search for 'hot' as you mention), and had no trouble with a 3-letter-word search.

Anyway. Thanks for the info AND the primer. Much appreciated.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom