KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
OK, I bought the #21 Fredette springs. Do I need any special tools to swap the springs? I have the service manual that states I need a special tool (Kaw Jack) for every procedure, even changing the oil. Also, I weigh 170 lbs and am 6 foot. What oil weight and height should I use? Any ideals on what settings for compression and rebound damping should I use as a starting point? Thanks alot!

MCMAN56

Sep 5, 2000
When I bought my springs from Fredette, it came with a set up sheet. The sheet recommended oil weight, oil height and spring preload based on rider weight. Give him a call. The springs made a big difference. As far as special tools, nothing is needed for a '92.

canucklehead

Apr 13, 2000
KDXDan,

Just out of curiousity, how much did those springs set ya back? I'm interested in buying some from Jeff myself, but I'm a little concerned about price/exchange rate since I'm in Canada. Another question: #21 springs... what weight rider are those best suited for? I'm confused with the numbering system, as I thought I would need .44 springs being around 215 lbs. Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Dave

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
canucklehead,
I bought the springs from Fred T on this site for 35 bucks last Friday and had 'em buy Tuesday. I think the #21 springs are good up to 190 lbs but I have read that Fredette recommends them to 200+ riders also. There are a few guys over 200 lbs that use the #21.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
It's unlikely that @ 215# you'd be using a set of 21# springs. There is more to it than the weight of the rider, though. The correct spring for you has a LOT to do with the way you ride and what type of riding you do. One size does NOT fit all (of a particular weight). A good tuner could certainly get you in the ballpark.

BTW...1kg being equal to 2.2 lbs (approx..to two digits anyway), take a 21#/in spring for example. 21#/2.2 will give you the equivalency in kg (9.55kg/inch). That gives you 9.55kg/25.4mm. Do the division to get .38kg/mm.

As an example (severe): I know of a local kx250 rider that is a motocross-type guy. I don't think he could weigh over 140# dripping wet. He uses .49 or .51 springs on his bike! Those same springs in the woods would pound his teeth out!

Oh... a .50kg/mm spring is a what??? in #/in.??

28...I:think

canucklehead

Apr 13, 2000
KDXDan,

Sorry to hijack your post with my questions!

Thanks for the input guys. I wasn't aware that # was an abbreviation for pounds! I was told I would need about .44 springs for my weight and riding style (NO MX!), but maybe that's a bit stiff. Are the stockers .38's? I haven't torn down the forks yet, so I'm not sure what they are. I put up an ad in the 'For Sale/Wanted' forum to see if anyone has some springs for sale. Or would it be best just to call MX South and talk to Jeff? Again, thanks for the help!

Dave

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
21# Springs

canucklehead,
I found this post from 6-23-01 by mountianrider.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New 21# Fork Springs
Brand New! Never Used! $45
e-mail r2holc@att.net

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Dave a word of caution, the requirements for your 89 KDX200 and 95 to 01 KDX200s are likely going to be different. Rather than using the same combination 95 to 01 KDX owners are using I'd give Fredette a call and see what he recommends. You can find contact info at www.frpoffroad.com. I know may times he'’ll recommend 0.35kg/mm springs for 89 to 92 KDX200s. That just happens to be the stock spring in 95 to 01 KDXs ;) . I know of at least one KDX owner in Calgary who'’s upgraded his springs. He might still have the stock units and be willing to sell them at a resonable price?

David

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Dan

You don't need any special tool but if you have a helper handy that might be nice. If you decide to change your fork oil you will have to completly remove your forks from the bike and take the top off and dump/pump it all out. Use 7.5 W Golden Spectro - you will need just a little more than 2 quarts. Set oil level at 100 MMM (4 INCHES) from top with fork fully compressed. Be sure to work the stanchen several times (25) to completly flow all the oli through to the lower tube before your final measurment. I did it and never worked on a bike in 17 years! You can do it!

If someone is interested I have a new unused stock pair of fork springs for a 95-01 KDX that I will sell. Make me a reasonlabe offer if they will work for you. Fredette will tell you if they will work in the older model.

Top Bottom