markre

Apr 3, 2003
anyone know where to get stiffer fork springs for a 2001 xr-80.if not,how about the spring shortening method to stiffen things up?

fastbygaff

Oct 25, 2002
There are some old tricks to XR forks that you can research but here is the fork trick.

Remove the oil and spring from the forks. With the forks compressed fill the forks with 20W oil. Then get some 2X2 angle iron and bolt it between the upper triple tree and the lower one for each fork.

I always used the oil trick and then just upped the viscocity of the oil as the kids got bigger. This worked very well for my son and he MX raced a xr80 for two seasons with no ploblems.

Once you get the front end rite then you need a rear shock, works make one for more than $300. Then you need to replace the skid plate from the front frame segment to the rear frame segment and replace it with the bolt in type frame support or do what we did and use that skid plate as a template and make your own. This might not make sense but go look at your bike and you will see thier is no frame under your engine.

I mentioned that due to when you learn to set up and jump a XR you will start breaking frames on that flat metal flange where the rear engine mont bolt is.

Top Bottom