Fork Springs: Fredette vs. MX Tech

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
I need new fork springs for my KDX. Do any of you have thoughts on whether it's better to get them from Fredette Racing vs. MX Tech?

Because Jeff Fredette is such a green-bleeding KDX guy, I'd like to give him my business. I've seen some posts, however, saying that Fredette springs are "too short" and require a lot of spacer. Frankly, I don't know the drawbacks of springs being too short (explanations would be appreciated), but if there's a problem, I don't want to buy them.

On the other hand, I've heard that MX Tech can really work wonders with KDX forks. Eventually, I'll probably have them do a re-valve for me. I wonder if the re-valve would work better with their own springs. Working against MX Tech is the fact that the MX Tech affiliate in my part of the country (CA) doesn't seem to be as responsive or as on the ball as the main MX Tech.

As always, any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated. Let me add that this forum kicks butt and is a truly valuable resource for me.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I doubt either one of them makes their own springs..so their sources may well be the same (say, eibach for example).

re: short springs

Order springs from either of them, and they're going to be 470mm, cuz that's the length of the OEM spring. The stock springs come with a good deal of spacer..close to 4" as I recall, and that also gives you something ridiculous like 25mm of preload.

The first two sets of springs I got from jeremy were 470mm (+/- a couple).

I asked both fredette and wilkey why the OEM springs were so short, and why not use the fork for SPRING as opposed to spacer. Fredette said weight. Wilkey also said weight...hedged a bit and added, 'the kawi engineers must have SOME reason, so we went with the same length.' He also mentioned that motion effects take longer to travel over a longer spring..and delay of sensing of movement isn't a good thing.

The weight idea doesn't hold any water imo. Who worries about the weight a WER adds to their front end? There's enough difference in weight of different tires to make the same difference that any additional spring would add. Who worries about that? Both those examples are unsprung weight, too.

It DOES make sense to use the available length of the piston rod for spring. Isn't that the whole purpose?

I first tried a set of .42s from jeremy. Thought they were too stiff. He substituted a set of .40s. They were ok, but one of them collapsed in a few weeks. My riding buddy had his suspension done by a local tuner that uses XR400 springs (late model) if he needs a .40 set. They are about 530mm in length. I asked jeremy for a set of those, he sent them. They are FAR superior to the .40s that I had. Much more compliant. With the first set of .40s, I could feel every pebble, with the XR springs..much of that went away.

The honda springs are hot wound. Most (all, I think) aftermarket springs are cold wound. The former is a superior spring...period.

MX affiliate? Why bother? Send them to jeremy.

When I first got my suspension back from mx-tech, I was not $700+ impressed. It took me awhile to warm-up to the setup. I had a chance shortly thereafter to ride a stock suspended kdx (same year as mine, same miles etc). Wow. The stock bike scared the pants off me!

I've since grown to appreciate jeremy's suspension work a BUNCH. Yep..a lot of bucks..but also a lot of result. It's great to have riders with decades of experience say, 'Nice suspension' when they ride my bike.

'Yes,' I say. 'It is!'

If you are after .40 springs, the XRs are the ONLY choice!! They are great!!

(Late model meaning 2000/01 as I recall the tuner-guy saying.)

BTW..the least amount of preload you'll be able to use with the OEM washers is about 9mm. The flanges of the washers dictate that length. That's a bit more than I'd prefer..but reasonable. Certainly alot better than OEM!!

Last edited:

MisShift

May 11, 2001
His name is Jeremy Wilkey. Look at the left hand column of web site logos on your screen and click on the MX Tech one.
http://www.mxtech.com/core.asp. That is his web site. Jeremy produces some of the most cutting edge suspension valves on the market. He uses a high seat pressure design as opposed to a high flow design that is in the stock KDX forks. Result..... a speed sensitive compression fork. Correct me if I'm wrong here guys..... I just rode my KDX lat weekend with MX Tech forks and those square edge bumps that kicked my ass before, now they are not nearly as intimidating. I rode like a banschee. All I know is that the 350$$ is spent is worth it so far. I trust Jeremy, he spends all kinds of time on the phone with you to explain his product to a completely suspension inept person like myself. NE1 who can do that all day sure has a belief in his product and wont allow it to fail on you. Look into it, I think that you would be happy with MX Tech's products. 0.02 here.

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
Thanks for the replies. As always, the people on this forum have come through with great information (better than I get from any shops).

With respest to the Honda springs, do .40s sound right for someone who weighs 200 LBS. (w/out gear)?

Happy Thanksgiving!!

freydog

Nov 17, 1999
FYI. Just got off the phone with the Honda dealer trying to buy some .40kg/mm 2001 Honda XR400 springs. According to the parts guy, there is only one OEM spring, with no optional OEM springs available, and he could not get information for the spring rate of the standard OEM spring.
So, I checked Race-Tech, and according to them the 2001 XR400 stock spring rate is .40kg/mm.

I weight 180lbs and plan on trying these springs.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yep...the late model XR springs are .40. It's not a matter of getting different rates from a 3rd party for that bike..it's: If you want/need .40 springs, the XR units are superior to what you'll buy aftermarket for the KDX.

It's a matter of preference, riding, etc etc...but .40 sounds a bit on the light side for 200# w/o gear to me. I'm 175, and jeremy set me up with .42s the first time.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
canyncarvr,
I'm a month away from boxing up forks & shock to send to a suspension shop & have been frustrated with Fredette in that I have called 3 times this summer during business hours, always get the answering machine, leave clear concise messages regarding pricing & shipping info for work, & have not got a return call. I'm glad to hear that MX Tech has been good to you. Anybody else have similar unprofessional experiences as I'm contemplating porting work as well?

freydog

Nov 17, 1999
Not sure what's going on with Fredette. Back in May a friend of mine purchased some used forks from him without any problems. I called fredette a couple weeks ago and got the answering machine. Hope that doesn't piss them off by not leaving a message.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Jeff is a one man band...

and sometimes he's not there. I had the best luck faxing things to him. He may lose messages on the recorder with power losses or things of that nature and cannot retrieve them. Once the ink dries on the fax paper you are it! :)

I used MX Tech for my suspension.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by Jim Crenca
canyncarvr,
I'm glad to hear that MX Tech has been good to you. Anybody else have similar unprofessional experiences as I'm contemplating porting work as well?

Regarding porting..something I read from Sage (a kawi team mech in another life): If you get your cylinder ported you MUST get it replated. If you don't it'll flake and peel 'fer shure!!

I hadn't considered that an issue. Attacking a plated cylinder with a die grinder..regardless of the finesse/knowledge with which it's wielded isn't going to result in a long-lived engine.

You might put him on your list of people to talk to about porting.

Regardless of who does the work...don't worry about keeping after 'em about it. I'm sure a lot of these guys are buried with work, and while you don't have to rag on 'em about it...a gentle reminder, like, 'Hey!!! Where's my dang stuff!!!???' :D might keep things moving. That's been my experience anyway.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I have a fredette 220

and jeff did the bike. and it came with a extra set of race tec spring's ? to me jeff used race tech parts.
also jeff easiest contacted early in the morning. 8am est:think

Top Bottom