Fork springs-Here's the plan

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
I have a '97 xr 400. It was my pride and joy and the fastest woods bike on the planet. 3 months ago I bought an '02 kdx 220. I haven't ridden the 400 since, maybe twice.
The forks on the kdx are certainly under sprung. I weigh 165, probably 175-180 with gear.
How about if I prop a 2X4 between the wheel and triple clamp on the 400 and steal the springs. If I like them, I get a new set for the 400, if they still seem too soft I put them back and put a set from an 00-02 400 in. I've often felt the springs on the 400 were a wee bit weak. Probably why Honda went from .38 to .4 for 00-02.

Sound like a plan?

Karl P.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Them being YOUR bikes, and YOU'RE doing the work, and YOU will judge the result.....sounds like a 5/5 plan to me! (that's a good thing)

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
Actually, I was thinking someone might suggest that the '97 springs may not be suitable and that I ought to just go ahead and get the 00-02 springs.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
karlp: There I go assuming again......

Run a spring rate check through race tech to see if the series of spring (diameter and such) are a match to the newer XR. I made the assumption you already knew them to be the same series.

I don't know if they are or are not.

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
You know you need stiffer springs for the KDX . I'd just buy the new springs that you need and match your weight (They're only $50.00) and be done with the whole mess. Seems like you're just delaying the inevitable. :)

xr400forever

Jan 6, 2002
Karlp,
My story is much the same regarding the XR to KDX. I have the same bikes and my XR4 has been sitting since getting the KDX 220. I too thought my XR was the best bike on earth. Now it feels heavy,tiring to ride (due to the weight), turns poorly, brakes poorly, and is poorly suspended compared with the KDX. The XR has race tech suspension and I like the stock KDX suspension better, soft front spring and all! I used to think poorly of 2-strokes but now I realize that a KDX is really no worse to maintain then an XR.Everything except the engine is really the same to maintain and rebuilding the engine on the KDX was easy and cheap, compared to a 4-stroke. I would rather rebuild my KDX once a year for $130 then ever face the massive bill of an XR rebild. The KDX is a lot nicer pushing on to the truck as well. I suppose we are converts!

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
Yeah, I know I've been converted, again.
I used to ride two strokes almost exclusively but got tired off parts falling off all the time. These were mostly late 70's, early 80's. I don't think Maaco is still in production? Carb used to FALL OFF that thing.
Got back to 4-strokes and was very happy.
I'll tell you though, I used to think these two stroke riders were inhuman. It seemed they could ride for hours and hours and not get tired. Now, so can I.

I guess my question was answered about the fork springs; .38 may be right for me, .40 may be right, need to try them both.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom