MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
OK, there isn't much mechanical that I won't at least attempt. I've always been a little squirmy about forks though. Dunno why.

I'm thinking I need to re-spring my front forks for my weight. I've read a number of threads with recommendations on which springs.

So my questions are:
a) what's this gonna cost me approx ?
b) what special tools will I need if any ?
and finally
c) just to respring, will I need any other parts other than new springs ? Gaskets ? seals ? What do I need to get all at once. :)

Is there an online-how-to for this with pics ? If not should i make one whilst I do this ?

-MD

Westex

Dec 21, 2000
Call Jeff Fredette and give him your information, i.e. weight with full gear on and bike model. He can fix you up for about $60 I believe. You will not need any special tools. You just loosen the caps, then remove the forks. Take the caps completely off and drain the fork oil. ( I measured the amount of oil that came out and replaced it with the exact same amount.) Then you remove the nut at the top of the springs with a open end wrench (seems like its a 14 but I might be mistaken.) Remove the old spring and replace with a new one. I probably left something out as I tend to do that but thats the way I remember it. I like dealing with Jeff and he will answer your questions if he's not too busy.

Happy Trails,
Keith

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Sweet, I ordered the springs today. Jeff assured me a monkey could do it given the tools :)

That's what I wanted to hear.

-MD

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
I read somewhere... Just KDX prolly, that I only needed to do the front. I weigh a good 200lbs, and am only planning on the front for starters.

I'll post something when I get it done.

-MD

Top Bottom