Fork static sag "cuting preload spacer ?s"

cantrell24x

Oct 24, 2001
I recently bought a 2004 KX 250 with a front fork from a 2001 or so GAS GAS. The people at ohlins say I need around 40mm of static sag. I have about 20mm at this time. I think to get to 40mm I need to cut the pre load spacer. What I am wondering is how much to cut the spacer to get 20mm more static sag.

Also is it correct to set the static sag then check your race sag? I think that is what I read in the ohlins manual but in another post here I read the opposite was true.

Third, I have the stock KAW. suspension that came on this bike. It has been revalved to be softer for woods ridding but I dont have any details about what was done to it. I have heard some ohlins stuff is dated. Is that true about the '01 gas gas forks? Would I be better off with the stockers? The shock is a newer model ohlins so I imagine it is up to date.

Thanks

Chris

cantrell24x

Oct 24, 2001
Just in case anyone was following my "saga" ( ha I crack me up) I was drunk when I said set the static sag first. DUH! I also found that my static measurments for the fork were in line with ohlins rec. for the gas gas fork. My rear spring is a little stiff so I might change it.

I am still curious about the differences in 2001 model ohlins and 2004 model kawasaki suspension. Would I get better results from a well set up stock set that is three years newer?

thanks

Chris

Top Bottom