twocycle

Feb 21, 2002
When changing fork oil and springs in my 89KDX, I noticed there
was very little oil in one of the tubes, about 8 oz. There was also
some aluminum bits, not a huge amount, in the oil which was very black. The action of the tube with no spring or oil has less friction than the other tube. I see no signs of oil leakage. I flushed it out with clean oil. Is there anything I should check before putting it back together? I bought the bike used with 600 miles on it and I have only put an additional 100 or so on it.

Thanks

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
If it's a 89.... I can almost guarantee it has a lot more than 600 miles on it. The aluminum bits are probably springs flaking which is common. At a minimum, replace the oil once a year but more like twice a year would be better. I bet it has never been changed.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
You better change your seals.
Sure they may not be showing any leakage now but wait 'til you fill 'em up.
That oil went somewhere.....

twocycle

Feb 21, 2002
I just pulled the gator off the fork and took a look at the seal. The seal, and the inside of the gator are completely dry of any oil. Everything looks like new. I know it is hard to believe but when I bought the bike it really had 600 miles on it. It still has the original tires. I am starting to think that this is the way it left the dealer. You would think if the bike had lost 12 oz of fork oil it would make a considerable mess inside the gator and seal area.

Thanks again

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
I was in the same boat too.... 36 miles on my 92 when I bought it a year ago. It is like new... better than new now that I found this site! Thanks All!

twocycle

Feb 21, 2002
Finally got the bike together and tested. The low oil situation was as I had
suspected, the dealer must have sent it out like that. Boy what a difference
with the oil change, sag adjustment and new stiffer springs. Where the bike would wallow and dive it now justs breezes right through at much higher speeds. I am going to adjust the dampers to fine it.

Thanks again for the help.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom