Fork underhang

Bliz

Dec 25, 1999
Has anyone had problems with the fork underhang on KDX 200/220's getting wedged in ruts or hit rocks and deflecting? Is this a problem on these bikes?

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Bliz, the way to solve the problem is to change the front end of the bike to a KX125/250/500 front end. There are a few threads about it.
If you can't afford to do so, the best bet is to keep out of ruts, avoid rocks & generally become a better rider. :)
Yeah, it is a problem/design fault with the bike.
An example of how bad it actually is: I've got a TTR125L & at one stage we were standing around talking about whatever & the subject came up. My husband decided to measure the ground clearance difference (of the forks) between my KDX & TTR. He then came back & told me to compare it. I grabbed a stick which wasn't quite long enough (hey, we were in the forest), so grabbed another nearby stick & measured the gap of the TTR. I then went over to the KDX & didn't even need the whole first stick. I was stunned that the TTR has better fork clearance.
I know as I come up to ruts I sub-consciously measure if the bike can get through it or not before I hit it. If it's on a corner & can't see the end, I just try to keep out of it (I try anyway, just sometimes that just don't work).
I have to admit I don't get deflected from rocks, mainly because we don't really get them (hey, otherwise call me ping-pong).

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
89kdx200rdr
I've had the KDX forks hang up in ruts well before the footpegs. The answer is to ride around,between or across the ruts, or wheelstand through them.
In other words make up for the bikes limitations by improving your riding. If you fit the KX forks the footpegs are the next thing to hang up. You might have upside down forks on your 89 (not sure which years had them) so you may not suffer this problem.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Bliz said:
Has anyone had problems with the fork underhang on KDX 200/220's getting wedged in ruts or hit rocks and deflecting? Is this a problem on these bikes?

Another reason I follow 'Carvr rather than lead... :clue:

By the time I get to the nasty ruts, he's already widened them up!

Bliz

Dec 25, 1999
I didn't say they were hanging up in ruts. I currently own a WR250f and I'm looking at a KDX 220 as a second bike. Sometimes you can't ride over or around the ruts and I'm wondering how big a headache the fork underhang is.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Just wheelie.... or make your front end as light as possible. Not a big deal usually....

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
I ride 600 - 800 miles a year in NE with lots of mud, ruts, roots, and rocks galore. The forks hung up maybe a couple of times a year, not a big deal (till I do a flying W).

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…